kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* KVM + virt-manager: which is the perfect host Linux distro?
@ 2009-03-26 18:28 Evert
From: Evert @ 2009-03-26 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi all,

I am about to install a new host system, which will be hosting various
guest systems by means of KVM & virt-manager for GUI.

What would be the best choice for host OS distro? Red Hat, or will any
mature Linux distro do?
Personally I am more of a Gentoo guy, but if there is 1 distro which is
clearly better as host OS when it comes to KVM+virt-manager, I am
willing to use something else...  ;-)

Regards,
	Evert

* Re: KVM + virt-manager: which is the perfect host Linux distro?
@ 2009-03-26 19:01 ` Tomasz Chmielewski
From: Tomasz Chmielewski @ 2009-03-26 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evert; +Cc: kvm

Evert schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to install a new host system, which will be hosting various
> guest systems by means of KVM & virt-manager for GUI.
>
> What would be the best choice for host OS distro? Red Hat, or will any
> mature Linux distro do?
> Personally I am more of a Gentoo guy, but if there is 1 distro which is
> clearly better as host OS when it comes to KVM+virt-manager, I am
> willing to use something else...  ;-)

Did you try this one:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

It's Debian based and have everything you need for virtualisation
already prepared.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

* Re: KVM + virt-manager: which is the perfect host Linux distro?
@ 2009-03-26 19:15   ` Evert
From: Evert @ 2009-03-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Evert schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am about to install a new host system, which will be hosting various
>> guest systems by means of KVM & virt-manager for GUI.
>>
>> What would be the best choice for host OS distro? Red Hat, or will any
>> mature Linux distro do?
>> Personally I am more of a Gentoo guy, but if there is 1 distro which
>> is clearly better as host OS when it comes to KVM+virt-manager, I am
>> willing to use something else...  ;-)
>
> Did you try this one:
>
> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page
>
> It's Debian based and have everything you need for virtualisation
> already prepared.

To my knowledge Proxmox does not support software RAID (
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/kvm-83-released-support-amd-iommu-qemu-svn-merge
), unless you configure that manually...
Otherwise Proxmox is promising, yes...

Can I conclude from that that Debian is the best host distro to go for?
Better than Red Hat & Gentoo?

@ 2009-03-30 20:55 ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2009-03-30 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KVM list

Evert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to install a new host system, which will be hosting various
> guest systems by means of KVM & virt-manager for GUI.
>
> What would be the best choice for host OS distro? Red Hat, or will any
> mature Linux distro do?
> Personally I am more of a Gentoo guy, but if there is 1 distro which is
> clearly better as host OS when it comes to KVM+virt-manager, I am
> willing to use something else...  ;-)

Fedora supports KVM and virt-manager nicely. I can't say it's the best, only
that it works solidly.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

* Re: KVM + virt-manager: which is the perfect host Linux distro?
@ 2009-05-04  1:56     ` Charles Duffy
From: Charles Duffy @ 2009-05-04  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Evert wrote:
> Can I conclude from that that Debian is the best host distro to go for?
> Better than Red Hat & Gentoo?

I'm not really convinced there's a big enough difference that it matters
-- particularly on a production system where you intend to stick to
stable, well-tested software. That said, many of the bleeding-edge tools
coming out of Red Hat's Emerging Technologies group (such as libguestfs)
are developed principally for Fedora; if you're looking to live on the
edge, that might be the way to go.

Ubuntu also has their own virtualization group; if you want something
where your distributor makes an effort to keep maintained packages
available (and accept that this means that they'll lag behind latest
upstream a bit), it's not a bad place to be either.