kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* QEMU/KVM Hardware Acceleration Clarity Question
@ 2010-08-25 22:22 matthew.r.rohrer
From: matthew.r.rohrer @ 2010-08-25 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello,
After looking all over the net and trying some KVM stuff I just want to
get some clarification on which QEMU I should be using.  I am trying to
use virtio with hardware acceleration.

Platform Fedora x86_64-kernel 2.6.32.16-150 KVM kernel modules
2.6.32.16-150

Question:
Does the qemu-system-x86_64 version 0.12.5 with the -enable-kvm switch
have all of the hardware acceleration stuff that is in qemu-kvm 0.11.0?
The reason I ask is I seem to be having network performance problems I
will save for another email.  I have read various message boards
indicating that qemu-system does not have all of the acceleration in it
yet and others that make me believe it should have all of the
acceleration stuff in qemu-kvm.  I have tried both and seem to get
slightly better performance with qemu-kvm.

The version of qemu-kvm came with the installation and I can't seem to
find a newer version.  I downloaded qemu-system 12.5 from the repository
and built it myself.

The qemu-system appears to be doing hardware acceleration as the
indicators match the qemu-kvm indicators.  But since the performance was
slightly worse I thought I would check and see if version 12.5 had all
of the hardware acceleration that is in qemu-kvm version 11.0.

Also, Vhost support is only in kernel 2.6.35 even though qemu 12.5 has
support.  Is that correct?

Thank you very much in advance! Your help is greatly appreciated.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-08-25 22:23 UTC | newest]