kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* CPUID.40000001H:EDX.KVM_HINTS_REALTIME[bit 0]
@ 2020-10-20 17:12 Jim Mattson
From: Jim Mattson @ 2020-10-20 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm list

Per the KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID ioctl, the KVM_HINTS_REALTIME CPUID
bit is never supported.

Is this just an oversight?

* Re: CPUID.40000001H:EDX.KVM_HINTS_REALTIME[bit 0]
@ 2020-10-21  7:03 ` Wanpeng Li
From: Wanpeng Li @ 2020-10-21  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Mattson; +Cc: kvm list

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 14:47, Jim Mattson <jmattson@google.com> wrote:

> Per the KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID ioctl, the KVM_HINTS_REALTIME CPUID
> bit is never supported.
>
> Is this just an oversight?

It is a performance hint, not a PV feature and doesn't depend on KVM.

    Wanpeng

* Re: CPUID.40000001H:EDX.KVM_HINTS_REALTIME[bit 0]
@ 2020-10-21 14:57   ` Vitaly Kuznetsov
From: Vitaly Kuznetsov @ 2020-10-21 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanpeng Li; +Cc: kvm list, Jim Mattson

Wanpeng Li <kernellwp@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 14:47, Jim Mattson <jmattson@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> Per the KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID ioctl, the KVM_HINTS_REALTIME CPUID
>> bit is never supported.
>>
>> Is this just an oversight?
>
> It is a performance hint, not a PV feature and doesn't depend on KVM.

True, but personally I'd prefer it to be reported in
KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID too, that would mean that userspace is in its
right to set it, just like any other PV 'thingy', even if just for
consistency.

--
Vitaly

* Re: CPUID.40000001H:EDX.KVM_HINTS_REALTIME[bit 0]
@ 2020-10-21 17:37     ` Jim Mattson
From: Jim Mattson @ 2020-10-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Kuznetsov; +Cc: Wanpeng Li, kvm list

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 7:57 AM Vitaly Kuznetsov <vkuznets@redhat.com> wrote:

> Wanpeng Li <kernellwp@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 14:47, Jim Mattson <jmattson@google.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Per the KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID ioctl, the KVM_HINTS_REALTIME CPUID
> >> bit is never supported.
> >>
> >> Is this just an oversight?
> >
> > It is a performance hint, not a PV feature and doesn't depend on KVM.
> >

> True, but personally I'd prefer it to be reported in
> KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID too, that would mean that userspace is in its
> right to set it, just like any other PV 'thingy', even if just for
> consistency.

I agree. The documentation says:

This ioctl returns x86 cpuid features which are supported by both the
hardware and kvm in its default configuration.

If the bit isn't set, then it is not supported, and a well-behaved
userspace will not set it.

Now, if the bit were in a completely different CPUID leaf (not a
KVM-defined leaf), then one could argue that it falls outside of the
realm of KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID. But it isn't, is it?

* Re: CPUID.40000001H:EDX.KVM_HINTS_REALTIME[bit 0]
@ 2020-10-22  3:14       ` Wanpeng Li
From: Wanpeng Li @ 2020-10-22  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Mattson; +Cc: Vitaly Kuznetsov, kvm list

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 01:37, Jim Mattson <jmattson@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 7:57 AM Vitaly Kuznetsov <vkuznets@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Wanpeng Li <kernellwp@gmail.com> writes:

> > > It is a performance hint, not a PV feature and doesn't depend on KVM.
> > >

> > True, but personally I'd prefer it to be reported in
> > KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID too, that would mean that userspace is in its
> > right to set it, just like any other PV 'thingy', even if just for
> > consistency.
>
> I agree. The documentation says:
>
> This ioctl returns x86 cpuid features which are supported by both the
> hardware and kvm in its default configuration.
>
> If the bit isn't set, then it is not supported, and a well-behaved
> userspace will not set it.
>
> Now, if the bit were in a completely different CPUID leaf (not a
> KVM-defined leaf), then one could argue that it falls outside of the
> realm of KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID. But it isn't, is it?

Fair enough, just sent out a patch.

    Wanpeng