kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Pre-required Kconfigs for kvm unit tests
@ 2019-06-27  7:15 Naresh Kamboju
From: Naresh Kamboju @ 2019-06-27  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm list
  Cc: Paolo Bonzini, lkft-triage, Krish Sadhukhan, karl.heubaum,
	drjones, andre.przywara, cdall

Hi,

We (kernel validation team) at Linaro running KVM unit tests [1] on arm64
and x86_64 architectures. Please share the Kernel configs fragments required
for better testing coverage.
Thank you.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm-unit-tests.git

Best regards
Naresh Kamboju

* Re: Pre-required Kconfigs for kvm unit tests
@ 2019-06-27  8:16 ` Andrew Jones
From: Andrew Jones @ 2019-06-27  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naresh Kamboju
  Cc: kvm list, Paolo Bonzini, lkft-triage, Krish Sadhukhan,
	karl.heubaum, andre.przywara, cdall

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 12:45:18PM +0530, Naresh Kamboju wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We (kernel validation team) at Linaro running KVM unit tests [1] on arm64
> and x86_64 architectures. Please share the Kernel configs fragments required
> for better testing coverage.
> Thank you.
>
> [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm-unit-tests.git

For arm64 if you're testing on a host with a latest kernel installed,
which of course has KVM enabled, and all the kvm-unit-tests test are
passing (except for the GIC tests that are not appropriate for your
host, which will be skipped), then you're getting all the coverage
those tests provide.

I'm not sure about x86_64, but I imagine a similar statement to what
I said for arm64 applies. If you don't get all passes, then you can
check your host's config to see if there are KVM* symbols disabled
that look relevant.

drew

* Re: Pre-required Kconfigs for kvm unit tests
@ 2019-06-27  8:49   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2019-06-27  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jones, Naresh Kamboju
  Cc: kvm list, lkft-triage, Krish Sadhukhan, karl.heubaum,
	andre.przywara, cdall

On 27/06/19 10:16, Andrew Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 12:45:18PM +0530, Naresh Kamboju wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We (kernel validation team) at Linaro running KVM unit tests [1] on arm64
>> and x86_64 architectures. Please share the Kernel configs fragments required
>> for better testing coverage.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm-unit-tests.git
>>
> For arm64 if you're testing on a host with a latest kernel installed,
> which of course has KVM enabled, and all the kvm-unit-tests test are
> passing (except for the GIC tests that are not appropriate for your
> host, which will be skipped), then you're getting all the coverage
> those tests provide.
>
> I'm not sure about x86_64, but I imagine a similar statement to what
> I said for arm64 applies. If you don't get all passes, then you can
> check your host's config to see if there are KVM* symbols disabled
> that look relevant.

For x86 there's just CONFIG_KVM_INTEL and CONFIG_KVM_AMD.

Paolo

* Re: Pre-required Kconfigs for kvm unit tests
@ 2019-07-04 13:08     ` Naresh Kamboju
From: Naresh Kamboju @ 2019-07-04 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini
  Cc: Andrew Jones, kvm list, lkft-triage, Krish Sadhukhan,
	karl.heubaum, andre.przywara, cdall

Hi Paolo,

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 14:19, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:

on x86_64,

> For x86 there's just CONFIG_KVM_INTEL and CONFIG_KVM_AMD.

As per your suggestions I have to enabled KVM configs.
Which auto enabled below list of configs.
With these config changes the number of test pass increased from 23 to 45.

PASS 45
FAIL  1
SKIP 10
Total 56

FAILED:
--------------
vmware_backdoors

SKIPPED:
--------------
pku
svm
taskswitch
taskswitch2
ept
vmx_eoi_bitmap_ioapic_scan
vmx_hlt_with_rvi_test
vmx_apicv_test
hyperv_connections
pmu

Extra configs enabled:
-------------------------------
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_IRQCHIP=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_IRQFD=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_IRQ_ROUTING=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_EVENTFD=y
CONFIG_KVM_MMIO=y
CONFIG_KVM_ASYNC_PF=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_MSI=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_CPU_RELAX_INTERCEPT=y
CONFIG_KVM_VFIO=y
CONFIG_KVM_GENERIC_DIRTYLOG_READ_PROTECT=y
CONFIG_KVM_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_IRQ_BYPASS=y
CONFIG_KVM=y
CONFIG_KVM_INTEL=y
CONFIG_KVM_AMD=y
CONFIG_KVM_MMU_AUDIT=y
CONFIG_USER_RETURN_NOTIFIER=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_NOTIFIERS=y
CONFIG_IRQ_BYPASS_MANAGER=y

> Paolo

Thanks for great help.

@ 2019-07-04 13:11       ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2019-07-04 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naresh Kamboju
  Cc: Andrew Jones, kvm list, lkft-triage, Krish Sadhukhan,

On 04/07/19 15:08, Naresh Kamboju wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 14:19, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
> on x86_64,
>
>> For x86 there's just CONFIG_KVM_INTEL and CONFIG_KVM_AMD.
>
> As per your suggestions I have to enabled KVM configs.
> Which auto enabled below list of configs.
> With these config changes the number of test pass increased from 23 to 45.
>
> PASS 45
> FAIL  1
> SKIP 10
> Total 56
>
> FAILED:
> vmware_backdoors

For this to pass, please add module parameter kvm.enable_vmware_backdoor=1.

You should also add kvm.force_emulation_prefix=1.

Without the options you have now chosen, you were probably testing
QEMU's x86 emulation rather than KVM.

Paolo