kvmarm.lists.cs.columbia.edu archive mirror
* Is there any KVM-enabled kernel for android i can find ?
@ 2021-08-27  2:25 aaditya singh
From: aaditya singh @ 2021-08-27  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvmarm

I'm Aaditya, a student at NYU, currently i was working on putting
kvm-enabled android kernel for our project and was wondering if you guys
can help with, would be grateful if you can share the instructions on how
to install kvm-enabled kernels ?
Thanking you
Aaditya

--

Warm Regards,
Aaditya Kumar Singh

*IIT Kharagpur | Adobe Inc*+91 7478076555 | *aaditya99983@gmail.com
<aaditya99983@gmail.com> *| *LinkedIn*
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/aaditya99/>

* Re: Is there any KVM-enabled kernel for android i can find ?
@ 2021-08-27  8:02 ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2021-08-27  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aaditya singh; +Cc: kvmarm

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 03:25:00 +0100,
aaditya singh <aaditya99983@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Aaditya,

> I'm Aaditya, a student at NYU, currently i was working on putting
> kvm-enabled android kernel for our project and was wondering if you guys
> can help with, would be grateful if you can share the instructions on how
> to install kvm-enabled kernels ?

I'm afraid your question is pretty ambiguous. What do you call a
KVM-enabled kernel? Do you mean as a KVM host? Or as a guest? The fact
that this is Android is pretty much irrelevant as far as KVM is
concerned.

Enabling a KVM guest requires nothing in particular. You only need the
required drivers that match what your VMM is offering as a
platform. Any distro kernel will probably run out of the box.

Enabling a KVM host is just a matter of selecting CONFIG_KVM in your
kernel configuration and installing the kernel.

There are however a bunch of requirements for that host kernel to be
able to serve as a hypervisor. The firmware has to boot the kernel in
the right context (EL2), and most of the Android-based devices are not
exactly cooperative on that front.

It would certainly help if you could more exactly detail what you are
after, as there are no pre-canned answers to your questions.

Thanks,

	M.