kvmarm.lists.cs.columbia.edu archive mirror
* Contribution to KVM.
@ 2020-04-09 21:29 Javier Romero
From: Javier Romero @ 2020-04-09 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm, kvmarm

Hello,

 My name is Javier, live in Argentina and work as a cloud engineer.

Have been working with Linux servers for the ast 10 years in an
Internet Service Provider and I'm interested in contributing to KVM
maybe with testing as a start point.

If it can be useful to test KVM on ARM, I have a Raspberry PI 3 at disposal.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Best Regards,

Javier Romero

* Re: Contribution to KVM.
@ 2020-04-10  3:34 ` Xu, Like
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Xu, Like @ 2020-04-10  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Romero, kvm, kvmarm

On 2020/4/10 5:29, Javier Romero wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   My name is Javier, live in Argentina and work as a cloud engineer.
>
> Have been working with Linux servers for the last 10 years in an
> Internet Service Provider and I'm interested in contributing to KVM
Welcome, I'm a newbie as well.
> maybe with testing as a start point.
You may try the http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm-unit-tests.git
and tools/testing/selftests/kvm in the kernel tree.

> If it can be useful to test KVM on ARM, I have a Raspberry PI 3 at disposal.
If you test KVM on Intel platforms, you will definitely get support from me :D.

Thanks,
Like Xu

> Thanks for your kind attention.
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Javier Romero

* Re: Contribution to KVM.
@ 2020-04-10  3:52   ` Nadav Amit
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nadav Amit @ 2020-04-10  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Romero; +Cc: like.xu, Liran Alon, kvmarm, kvm

> On Apr 9, 2020, at 8:34 PM, Xu, Like <like.xu@intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 2020/4/10 5:29, Javier Romero wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>  My name is Javier, live in Argentina and work as a cloud engineer.
>>
>> Have been working with Linux servers for the last 10 years in an
>> Internet Service Provider and I'm interested in contributing to KVM
> Welcome, I'm a newbie as well.
>> maybe with testing as a start point.
> You may try the http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm-unit-tests.git
> and tools/testing/selftests/kvm in the kernel tree.
>> If it can be useful to test KVM on ARM, I have a Raspberry PI 3 at disposal.
> If you test KVM on Intel platforms, you will definitely get support from me :D.

If you are looking for something specific, here are two issues with
relatively limited scope, which AFAIK were not resolved:

1. Shadow VMCS bug, which is also a test bug [1]. You can start by fixing
   the test and then fix KVM.

2. Try to run the tests with more than 4GB of memory. The last time I tried
   (actually by running the test on bare metal), the INIT test that Liran
   wrote failed.

Regards,
Nadav

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/3235DBB0-0DC0-418C-BC45-A4B78612E273@gmail.com/T/#u

* Re: Contribution to KVM.
@ 2020-04-10  3:54   ` Javier Romero
From: Javier Romero @ 2020-04-10  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: like.xu; +Cc: kvmarm, kvm

Hi Like Xu,

Thank you for your time to answer.

Yes, I can also test KVM in an Intel platform, have a Pixelbook with a Core
i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM at disposal to start working.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

El vie., 10 abr. 2020 00:34, Xu, Like <like.xu@intel.com> escribió:

> On 2020/4/10 5:29, Javier Romero wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   My name is Javier, live in Argentina and work as a cloud engineer.
> >
> > Have been working with Linux servers for the last 10 years in an
> > Internet Service Provider and I'm interested in contributing to KVM
> Welcome, I'm a newbie as well.
> > maybe with testing as a start point.
> You may try the http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm-unit-tests.git
> and tools/testing/selftests/kvm in the kernel tree.
> >
> > If it can be useful to test KVM on ARM, I have a Raspberry PI 3 at
> disposal.
> If you test KVM on Intel platforms, you will definitely get support from
> me :D.
>
> Thanks,
> Like Xu
> >
> > Thanks for your kind attention.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >

> > Javier Romero

* Re: Contribution to KVM.
@ 2020-04-10  3:56   ` Javier Romero
From: Javier Romero @ 2020-04-10  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: like.xu; +Cc: kvmarm, kvm

Hi Like Xu,

Thank you for your time to answer.

Yes, I can also test KVM in an Intel platform, have a Pixelbook with a Core
i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM at disposal to start working.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

El vie., 10 abr. 2020 00:34, Xu, Like <like.xu@intel.com> escribió:

> On 2020/4/10 5:29, Javier Romero wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   My name is Javier, live in Argentina and work as a cloud engineer.
> >
> > Have been working with Linux servers for the last 10 years in an
> > Internet Service Provider and I'm interested in contributing to KVM
> Welcome, I'm a newbie as well.
> > maybe with testing as a start point.
> You may try the http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm-unit-tests.git
> and tools/testing/selftests/kvm in the kernel tree.
> >
> > If it can be useful to test KVM on ARM, I have a Raspberry PI 3 at
> disposal.
> If you test KVM on Intel platforms, you will definitely get support from
> me :D.
>
> Thanks,
> Like Xu
> >
> > Thanks for your kind attention.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >

> > Javier Romero

* Re: Contribution to KVM.
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-04-10  4:43   ` Javier Romero
From: Javier Romero @ 2020-04-10  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: like.xu; +Cc: kvmarm, kvm

Hi Like Xu,

Thank you for your time to answer.

Of course I can also test KVM on an Intel Platform if this can be
useful, have a Pixelbook laptop with a Core i7 processor and 16 GB of
RAM at disposal :D

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Javier Romero

El vie., 10 abr. 2020 a las 0:34, Xu, Like (<like.xu@intel.com>) escribió:

> On 2020/4/10 5:29, Javier Romero wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   My name is Javier, live in Argentina and work as a cloud engineer.
> >
> > Have been working with Linux servers for the last 10 years in an
> > Internet Service Provider and I'm interested in contributing to KVM
> Welcome, I'm a newbie as well.
> > maybe with testing as a start point.
> You may try the http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm-unit-tests.git
> and tools/testing/selftests/kvm in the kernel tree.
> >
> > If it can be useful to test KVM on ARM, I have a Raspberry PI 3 at disposal.
> If you test KVM on Intel platforms, you will definitely get support from me :D.
>
> Thanks,
> Like Xu
> >
> > Thanks for your kind attention.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >

> > Javier Romero

* Re: Contribution to KVM.
@ 2020-04-10  4:49     ` Javier Romero
From: Javier Romero @ 2020-04-10  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nadav Amit; +Cc: like.xu, Liran Alon, kvmarm, kvm

Hi Nadav,

Thank you for your answer,

Will also take a look at the test bug you suggested.

Regards,

Javier Romero

@ 2020-04-10  7:49 ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2020-04-10  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Romero; +Cc: kvmarm, kvm

Hi Javier,

On 2020-04-09 22:29, Javier Romero wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  My name is Javier, live in Argentina and work as a cloud engineer.
>
> Have been working with Linux servers for the ast 10 years in an
> Internet Service Provider and I'm interested in contributing to KVM
> maybe with testing as a start point.
>
> If it can be useful to test KVM on ARM, I have a Raspberry PI 3 at
> disposal.

Testing is great (although the RPi-3 isn't the most interesting platform
due
to its many hardware limitations). If you are familiar with the ARM
architecture,
helping with patch review is also much appreciated.

Thanks,

         M.

* Re: Contribution to KVM.
@ 2020-04-10 10:20     ` Liran Alon
From: Liran Alon @ 2020-04-10 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nadav Amit, Javier Romero; +Cc: like.xu, kvmarm, kvm

On 10/04/2020 6:52, Nadav Amit wrote:
> 2. Try to run the tests with more than 4GB of memory. The last time I tried
>     (actually by running the test on bare metal), the INIT test that Liran
>     wrote failed.

Wasn't this test failure fixed with kvm-unit-test commit fc47ccc19612
("x86: vmx: Verify pending LAPIC INIT event consume when exit on VMX_INIT")?
If not, can you provide the details of this new failure? As I thought
this commit address the previous issue you have reported when running
this test
on bare-metal.

Thanks,
-Liran

* Re: Contribution to KVM.
@ 2020-04-10 19:41       ` Nadav Amit
From: Nadav Amit @ 2020-04-10 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liran Alon; +Cc: like.xu, Javier Romero, kvm, kvmarm

> On Apr 10, 2020, at 3:20 AM, Liran Alon <liran.alon@oracle.com> wrote:
>

> On 10/04/2020 6:52, Nadav Amit wrote:
>> 2. Try to run the tests with more than 4GB of memory. The last time I tried
>>    (actually by running the test on bare metal), the INIT test that Liran
>>    wrote failed.
> Wasn't this test failure fixed with kvm-unit-test commit fc47ccc19612 ("x86: vmx: Verify pending LAPIC INIT event consume when exit on VMX_INIT")?
> If not, can you provide the details of this new failure? As I thought this commit address the previous issue you have reported when running this test
> on bare-metal.

Your patch solved the problem of INIT and apparently you got the right
implementation in KVM.

There appears to be another issue, which I suspect is only a test issue,
when I run the tests on bare-metal with more than 4GB of memory. If I remove
Paolo’s patch the enabled support for more than 4GB of RAM, or if I run it
on a VM with 4GB of RAM it passes. I did not run the tests on KVM - to be
fair.

Here is the splat I got on a non-KVM hypervisor with 8GB or RAM:

Test suite: vmx_init_signal_test
Unhandled cpu exception 14 #PF at ip 0000000000419698
PF at 0x419698 addr 0x102066000
error_code=0000      rflags=00010046      cs=00000008
rax=0000000000000000 rcx=000000000000080b rdx=0000000000000001 rbx=0000000102066000
rbp=000000000053a7b8 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=0000000102065000
 r8=000000000053a016  r9=00000000000003f8 r10=000000000000000d r11=0000000000000000
r12=0000000102065000 r13=0000000102065000 r14=0000000000000000 r15=0000000000000000
cr0=0000000080000011 cr2=0000000102066000 cr3=0000000000422000 cr4=0000000000000020
cr8=0000000000000000
	STACK: @419698 407539 419f81 419eb1

[ I ran it also on bare metal, and got IIRC got a similar splat, but did not
save it. ]

The splat shows the failure happened in alloc_page() which was called from
init_signal_test_thread() on the following line:

	freelist = *(void **)freelist;

( and IIRC freelist is nil )

I did not have time to analyze the problem or even run it on KVM.

* Re: Contribution to KVM.
@ 2020-04-10 20:15   ` Javier Romero
From: Javier Romero @ 2020-04-10 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier; +Cc: kvmarm, kvm

Hi Marc,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Have decided to start contributing with testing on Intel platform,
have a Pixelbook with a Core i7 and 16 GB of RAM and will use Avocado
to have a local automated test-suite environment.

Regards,

Javier Romero