linux-amlogic.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* clk: clk_register is deprecated
@ 2020-04-30 12:24 Jerome Brunet
From: Jerome Brunet @ 2020-04-30 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Boyd, Martin Blumenstingl, ulf.hansson; +Cc: linux-amlogic, linux-clk

Hi Stephen,

We have a question regarding drivers which register clocks in CCF and
later need to use these clocks.

So far, these drivers had been using clk_register() to get a 'struct
clk*' they could later use with the linux/clk.h API.

Now that this clk_register() is deprecated in favor of
clk_hw_register(), how are these driver supposed to get the per-user
"struct clk*" they need ?

In this mmc thread [0] Martin proposed to go through a provider. I think
it is overkill, especially for a device which will not provide its clocks
to any other device.

They other way available is "hw->clk". I suspect it is not recommended
to do so, is it ?

If not, what would be the recommended way to get the "struct clk*" from
a newly registered "struct clk_hw *" ? Should we add something new to
clk-provider.h API ?

Cheers
Jerome

[0]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-amlogic/20200428210229.703309-3-martin.blumenstingl@googlemail.com