linux-amlogic.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* arm64: dts: meson: Boot failure with using eMMC
@ 2019-05-11 20:49 Bob
From: Bob @ 2019-05-11 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel; +Cc: linux-amlogic

Even though I come with a problem, I first want to thank you folks for all
that you do. It's much appreciated.

So on to the problem. I've got an Odroid C2 (meson-gxbb) with an eMMC chip
that Ameridroid claims to be an "eMMC Version 4.5 - HS200 interface with
8bit DDR mode from Samsung".

I run the Arch Linux "mainline" kernel and it had been working well. But when
I upgraded the kernel from 4.20 to 5.0 it failed to boot when UBoot couldn't
mount the root filesystem, so it dropped into it's shell. Using an USB serial
dongle, I noticed that none of the usual /dev/mmcblk* files were created.

I saved the failing boot output from the USB dongle, downgraded back to the
4.20 kernel, and now it booted successfully. When I compared the good/bad
dongle outputs it seems that the first error messages were:

   [2.790141] meson-gx-mmc d0074000.mmc: no support for card's volts
       (snip)
   [2.799730] mmc0: error -22 whilst initialising MMC card

I then did a bunch of "git bisect" compiles on Linus' "vanilla" kernel from his
git tree and ultimately it pointed to commit:

   arm64: dts: meson: disable pad bias for mmc pinmuxes
   96a13691c1ddfafc301d1ee451d91fc2cca48d27

Sure enough, when I now revert that commit in /boot/dtbs/amlogic/meson-gxbb-
odroidc2.dtb on the latest shipping 5.1 kernel, it boots successfully. That
same 5.1 kernel fails to boot with the same error messages when that commit
is engaged.