linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* [BUG] shmobile build failure
@ 2014-01-02 17:24 Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2014-01-02 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

allmodconfig and allyesconfig fail with this error:

arch/arm/mach-shmobile/setup-rcar-gen2.c:21:32: fatal error: linux/clk/shmobile.h: No such file or directory

My guess is that shmobile on its own doesn't build because of this.
Is there a screwed dependency between arm-soc and the clk git trees?

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: 5.8Mbps down 500kbps up.  Estimation
in database were 13.1 to 19Mbit for a good line, about 7.5+ for a bad.

* [BUG] shmobile build failure
@ 2014-01-02 17:36 ` Olof Johansson
From: Olof Johansson @ 2014-01-02 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> allmodconfig and allyesconfig fail with this error:
>
> arch/arm/mach-shmobile/setup-rcar-gen2.c:21:32: fatal error: linux/clk/shmobile.h: No such file or directory
>
> My guess is that shmobile on its own doesn't build because of this.
> Is there a screwed dependency between arm-soc and the clk git trees?

Yeah, I noticed this too but hadn't had a chance to report it yet --
holidays followed by getting sick.

I'm guessing they have a dependency on clk rework that we haven't merged.

Simon?

-Olof

* [BUG] shmobile build failure
@ 2014-01-02 21:47   ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2014-01-02 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 09:36:07AM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > allmodconfig and allyesconfig fail with this error:
> >
> > arch/arm/mach-shmobile/setup-rcar-gen2.c:21:32: fatal error: linux/clk/shmobile.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > My guess is that shmobile on its own doesn't build because of this.
> > Is there a screwed dependency between arm-soc and the clk git trees?
>
> Yeah, I noticed this too but hadn't had a chance to report it yet --
> holidays followed by getting sick.
>
> I'm guessing they have a dependency on clk rework that we haven't merged.

Have you run any allmod or allyesconfig builds recently?  The logs from
those builds are excessively big and unreadable due to this:

warning: __mcount_loc already exists: object-file.o

being spat out for every object file being built, and I can't figure out
what's causing that.

--

@ 2014-01-02 23:20     ` Olof Johansson
From: Olof Johansson @ 2014-01-02 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 09:36:07AM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
>> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
>> > allmodconfig and allyesconfig fail with this error:
>> >
>> > arch/arm/mach-shmobile/setup-rcar-gen2.c:21:32: fatal error: linux/clk/shmobile.h: No such file or directory
>> >
>> > My guess is that shmobile on its own doesn't build because of this.
>> > Is there a screwed dependency between arm-soc and the clk git trees?
>>
>> Yeah, I noticed this too but hadn't had a chance to report it yet --
>> holidays followed by getting sick.
>>
>> I'm guessing they have a dependency on clk rework that we haven't merged.
>
> Have you run any allmod or allyesconfig builds recently?  The logs from
> those builds are excessively big and unreadable due to this:
>
> warning: __mcount_loc already exists: object-file.o
>
> being spat out for every object file being built, and I can't figure out
> what's causing that.

Hm, no I have not. Do you have a feel for when it began? I can do a bisect.

-Olof

* [BUG] shmobile build failure
@ 2014-01-02 23:23       ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2014-01-02 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 03:20:36PM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 09:36:07AM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:

> >> Yeah, I noticed this too but hadn't had a chance to report it yet --
> >> holidays followed by getting sick.
> >>
> >> I'm guessing they have a dependency on clk rework that we haven't merged.
> >
> > Have you run any allmod or allyesconfig builds recently?  The logs from
> > those builds are excessively big and unreadable due to this:
> >
> > warning: __mcount_loc already exists: object-file.o
> >
> > being spat out for every object file being built, and I can't figure out
> > what's causing that.
>

> Hm, no I have not. Do you have a feel for when it began? I can do a bisect.

I don't know - I've only recently re-enabled those builds.  There's
suggestions from other architectures that it may be toolchain related -
some people have blamed binutils for it, but I'm running binutils 2.22.

Hence why I'm interested if others see this too.

--

@ 2014-01-03 14:49         ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2014-01-03 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Friday 03 January 2014, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 03:20:36PM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> > > Have you run any allmod or allyesconfig builds recently?  The logs from
> > > those builds are excessively big and unreadable due to this:
> > >
> > > warning: __mcount_loc already exists: object-file.o
> > >
> > > being spat out for every object file being built, and I can't figure out
> > > what's causing that.
> >

> > Hm, no I have not. Do you have a feel for when it began? I can do a bisect.
>
> I don't know - I've only recently re-enabled those builds.  There's
> suggestions from other architectures that it may be toolchain related -
> some people have blamed binutils for it, but I'm running binutils 2.22.
>
> Hence why I'm interested if others see this too.

I just tried building allmodconfig using linux-next-20131224 and
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-4.8.1-7ubuntu1. I had to disable a bunch of
drivers to get it to build, but didn't see the __mcount_loc problem.

What kernel tree and compiler are you using?

	Arnd

* [BUG] shmobile build failure
@ 2014-01-03 23:39   ` Simon Horman
From: Simon Horman @ 2014-01-03 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 09:36:07AM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > allmodconfig and allyesconfig fail with this error:
> >
> > arch/arm/mach-shmobile/setup-rcar-gen2.c:21:32: fatal error: linux/clk/shmobile.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > My guess is that shmobile on its own doesn't build because of this.
> > Is there a screwed dependency between arm-soc and the clk git trees?
>
> Yeah, I noticed this too but hadn't had a chance to report it yet --
> holidays followed by getting sick.
>
> I'm guessing they have a dependency on clk rework that we haven't merged.
>
> Simon?

Hi Olof,

sorry about that, I have indeed made an error with dependencies.

The problem is that the following is needed by the pull
request "Third Round of Renesas ARM Based SoC Updates for v3.14",
tagged as renesas-soc3-for-v3.14, which you have pulled (thanks!):

git://git.linaro.org/people/mturquette/linux.git clk-next-shmobile

However, unfortunately, I only included it in the pull request "Third Round
of Renesas ARM Based SoC DT Updates for v3.14", tagged as.

I believe you have subsequently noticed this.

Sorry for the mix up!