linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* [RFC] arm64: mm: use pgprot_device for device in phys_mem_access_prot
@ 2016-07-21  7:13 Jisheng Zhang
From: Jisheng Zhang @ 2016-07-21  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi all,

Normally, in arm64, kernel driver maps register space as device nGnRE. But
if we access the register space via. /dev/mem, then the mapping is
device nGnRnE, is there a mismatch here?

the fix is s/pgprot_noncached/pgprot_device in phys_mem_access_prot().

>From armv8 ARM, this mismatch seems not the so called mismatched memory
attributes?

Thanks,
Jisheng

* [RFC] arm64: mm: use pgprot_device for device in phys_mem_access_prot
@ 2016-07-21 16:03 ` Catalin Marinas
From: Catalin Marinas @ 2016-07-21 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 03:13:44PM +0800, Jisheng Zhang wrote:
> Normally, in arm64, kernel driver maps register space as device nGnRE. But
> if we access the register space via. /dev/mem, then the mapping is
> device nGnRnE, is there a mismatch here?

Possibly, but the behaviour is not undefined. The nGnRnE may lose the nE
behaviour (which is a hint anyway, it may not be honoured).

/dev/mem is a pretty bad idea in general.

--
Catalin

* [RFC] arm64: mm: use pgprot_device for device in phys_mem_access_prot
@ 2016-07-22  6:58   ` Jisheng Zhang
From: Jisheng Zhang @ 2016-07-22  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:03:00 +0100 Catalin Marinas wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 03:13:44PM +0800, Jisheng Zhang wrote:
> > Normally, in arm64, kernel driver maps register space as device nGnRE. But
> > if we access the register space via. /dev/mem, then the mapping is
> > device nGnRnE, is there a mismatch here?
>
> Possibly, but the behaviour is not undefined. The nGnRnE may lose the nE
> behaviour (which is a hint anyway, it may not be honoured).

Got it. Thanks for confirmation.