linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* compile error in 4.14-rc5 with nvidia tegra enabled
@ 2017-10-19  8:42 Hermann Lauer
From: Hermann Lauer @ 2017-10-19  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hello,
compiling 4.14-rc{4,5} with a debian testing arm config yields the attached
error. Disabling the Nvidia tegra architecture (unneeded on
Banana{Pro,Pi,Ultra}) helps.

Thanks,
 greetings
   Hermann

  CC [M]  drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.o
drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c: In function ?host1x_pushbuffer_init?:
drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c:94:48: error: passing argument 3 of ?dma_alloc_wc? from incompatible pointer type [-We
rror=incompatible-pointer-types]
   pb->mapped = dma_alloc_wc(host1x->dev, size, &pb->phys,
                                                ^
In file included from drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c:22:0:
./include/linux/dma-mapping.h:780:21: note: expected ?dma_addr_t * {aka long long unsigned int *}? but argument
is of type ?phys_addr_t * {aka unsigned int *}?
 static inline void *dma_alloc_wc(struct device *dev, size_t size,
                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c:113:48: error: passing argument 3 of ?dma_alloc_wc? from incompatible pointer type [-W
error=incompatible-pointer-types]
   pb->mapped = dma_alloc_wc(host1x->dev, size, &pb->phys,
                                                ^
In file included from drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c:22:0:
./include/linux/dma-mapping.h:780:21: note: expected ?dma_addr_t * {aka long long unsigned int *}? but argument
is of type ?phys_addr_t * {aka unsigned int *}?
 static inline void *dma_alloc_wc(struct device *dev, size_t size,
                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~
  CC [M]  drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.o
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg
Email: Hermann.Lauer at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de

* compile error in 4.14-rc5 with nvidia tegra enabled
@ 2017-10-19 10:11 ` Jon Hunter
From: Jon Hunter @ 2017-10-19 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Adding linux-tegra and Mikko ...

On 19/10/17 09:42, Hermann Lauer wrote:
> Hello,
> compiling 4.14-rc{4,5} with a debian testing arm config yields the attached
> error. Disabling the Nvidia tegra architecture (unneeded on
> Banana{Pro,Pi,Ultra}) helps.
>
> Thanks,
>  greetings
>    Hermann
>
>   CC [M]  drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.o
> drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c: In function ?host1x_pushbuffer_init?:
> drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c:94:48: error: passing argument 3 of ?dma_alloc_wc? from incompatible pointer type [-We
> rror=incompatible-pointer-types]
>    pb->mapped = dma_alloc_wc(host1x->dev, size, &pb->phys,
>                                                 ^
> In file included from drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c:22:0:
> ./include/linux/dma-mapping.h:780:21: note: expected ?dma_addr_t * {aka long long unsigned int *}? but argument
> is of type ?phys_addr_t * {aka unsigned int *}?
>  static inline void *dma_alloc_wc(struct device *dev, size_t size,
>                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~
> drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c:113:48: error: passing argument 3 of ?dma_alloc_wc? from incompatible pointer type [-W
> error=incompatible-pointer-types]
>    pb->mapped = dma_alloc_wc(host1x->dev, size, &pb->phys,
>                                                 ^
> In file included from drivers/gpu/host1x/cdma.c:22:0:
> ./include/linux/dma-mapping.h:780:21: note: expected ?dma_addr_t * {aka long long unsigned int *}? but argument
> is of type ?phys_addr_t * {aka unsigned int *}?
>  static inline void *dma_alloc_wc(struct device *dev, size_t size,
>                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~
>   CC [M]  drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.o
> cc1: some warnings being treated as errors

Thanks for the report. I don't see this. What config and toolchain are
you using?

Mikko, have you seen this?

Cheers
Jon

--
nvpublic

* compile error in 4.14-rc5 with nvidia tegra enabled
@ 2017-10-19 10:21   ` Mikko Perttunen
From: Mikko Perttunen @ 2017-10-19 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Arnd Bergmann raised this issue previously[1], but I assumed it would
only happen on some obscure configuration, as clearly arm
tegra_defconfig and multi_v7_defconfig and arm64 defconfig are building.

It would be interesting to know how this is being triggered here.

Of course the code is here is not very desirable - the root issue is
that we want to allocate writecombine physical memory but there is no
API to do that, so we rely on the DMA API "accidentally" doing the right
thing.

Mikko

[1]: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9688609/

@ 2017-10-19 10:36     ` Hermann Lauer
From: Hermann Lauer @ 2017-10-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 01:21:02PM +0300, Mikko Perttunen wrote:
> Arnd Bergmann raised this issue previously[1], but I assumed it would only
> happen on some obscure configuration, as clearly arm tegra_defconfig and
> multi_v7_defconfig and arm64 defconfig are building.
>
> It would be interesting to know how this is being triggered here.

basis is the config-4.13.0-1-armmp from Debian's sid linux-image package -
will send the exact config when I fetched it from the Allwinner A20 (BananaPro)
System. Toolchain is the Debian stretch toolchain.

Thanks for carering,
  Hermann

Email: Hermann.Lauer at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de