linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* ARM core blob list
@ 2019-09-20 10:15 Sergey Brutyan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sergey Brutyan @ 2019-09-20 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Dear all we are company of hard/soft design and integration mostly based
on ARM cores.
We are currently working on Libre Linux development for ARM based SBC.

And ready to put professional effort for having complete blob-free Linux
kernel, as we have done research there is most problem with bootloaders
and Mali or PowerVR GPU units in SoC.

We are looking forward to cooperate and  now have several need of
information.

Can you send us list for blob drivers for this SoC:

    Allwinner A20
    Allwinner R40
    Broadcom BCM2837
    Realtek RTD1395
    MediaTek MT7623N

And also please offer us which is the best SoC for blob-free linux
development.

Best regards. Sergey.

* Re: ARM core blob list
@ 2019-09-20 16:36 ` Stefan Wahren
From: Stefan Wahren @ 2019-09-20 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Brutyan, linux-arm-kernel

Hi Sergey,

Am 20.09.19 um 12:15 schrieb Sergey Brutyan:
> Dear all we are company of hard/soft design and integration mostly based
> on ARM cores.
> We are currently working on Libre Linux development for ARM based SBC.
>
> And ready to put professional effort for having complete blob-free Linux
> kernel, as we have done research there is most problem with bootloaders
> and Mali or PowerVR GPU units in SoC.
>
> We are looking forward to cooperate and  now have several need of
> information.
>
> Can you send us list for blob drivers for this SoC:
>
>     Allwinner A20
>     Allwinner R40
>     Broadcom BCM2837

here is the list for Linux 5.3:

cpufreq/raspberrypi-cpufreq.c
gpio/gpio-raspberrypi-exp.c
clk/bcm/clk-raspberrypi.c
staging/vc04_services/bcm2835-audio/bcm2835-pcm.c
staging/vc04_services/interface/vchiq_arm/vchiq_arm.c
staging/vc04_services/bcm2835-camera/mmal-vchiq.c
firmware/raspberrypi.c
hwmon/raspberrypi-hwmon.c
soc/bcm/raspberrypi-power.c (*)

(*) There is already a blob-free driver called soc/bcm/bcm2835-power.c,
but it still needs improvements.

Since the ARM cores doesn't have full access, it may not possible to
replace all these drivers. An alternative approach for blob-freeness on
BCM2837 would be an open VC4 firmware [1].

[1] - https://github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware

Good luck

Stefan

>     Realtek RTD1395
>     MediaTek MT7623N
>

> And also please offer us which is the best SoC for blob-free linux
> development.
>
> Best regards. Sergey.

* Re: ARM core blob list
@ 2019-09-24 11:06   ` Petr Tesarik
From: Petr Tesarik @ 2019-09-24 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Brutyan; +Cc: Stefan Wahren, linux-arm-kernel

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:36:50 +0200
Stefan Wahren <wahrenst@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Sergey,
>
> Am 20.09.19 um 12:15 schrieb Sergey Brutyan:
>[...]
> >     Broadcom BCM2837
>
> here is the list for Linux 5.3:
>
> cpufreq/raspberrypi-cpufreq.c
> gpio/gpio-raspberrypi-exp.c
> clk/bcm/clk-raspberrypi.c
> staging/vc04_services/bcm2835-audio/bcm2835-pcm.c
> staging/vc04_services/interface/vchiq_arm/vchiq_arm.c
> staging/vc04_services/bcm2835-camera/mmal-vchiq.c
> firmware/raspberrypi.c
> hwmon/raspberrypi-hwmon.c
> soc/bcm/raspberrypi-power.c (*)
>
> (*) There is already a blob-free driver called soc/bcm/bcm2835-power.c,
> but it still needs improvements.
>
> Since the ARM cores doesn't have full access, it may not possible to
> replace all these drivers. An alternative approach for blob-freeness on
> BCM2837 would be an open VC4 firmware [1].
>
> [1] - https://github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware

This project has been on hold. Note that the VC4 platform itself is
reverse-engineered, and there is no official support in binutils and
gcc, although it might be possible to rebase the existing code on a
more current version.

Another caveat is that the above firmware project was meant to be
loaded directly by the ROM code, i.e. it would replace bootcode.bin on
a RPi3. With RPi4, this code has moved into the EEPROM and requires a
signature, otherwise the ROM code will refuse to run it.

AFAICT it should be possible to build the open firmware as start.elf or
start4.elf, which need not be signed.

If you're still interested, feel free to contact me.

Good luck!
Petr T

> Good luck
>
> Stefan
>
> >     Realtek RTD1395
> >     MediaTek MT7623N
> >

> > And also please offer us which is the best SoC for blob-free linux
> > development.
> >
> > Best regards. Sergey.

* Re: ARM core blob list
@ 2019-09-25  9:28 ` Neil Armstrong
From: Neil Armstrong @ 2019-09-25  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

On 20/09/2019 12:15, Sergey Brutyan wrote:
> Dear all we are company of hard/soft design and integration mostly based
> on ARM cores.
> We are currently working on Libre Linux development for ARM based SBC.
>
> And ready to put professional effort for having complete blob-free Linux
> kernel, as we have done research there is most problem with bootloaders
> and Mali or PowerVR GPU units in SoC.
>
> We are looking forward to cooperate and  now have several need of
> information.
>
> Can you send us list for blob drivers for this SoC:
>
>     Allwinner A20
>     Allwinner R40
>     Broadcom BCM2837
>     Realtek RTD1395
>     MediaTek MT7623N
>

> And also please offer us which is the best SoC for blob-free linux
> development.

off topic, but I can answer for the Amlogic S905/S905X/S905D/S912/S905X2/S905D2/S922X/A113D/S905X3/S905D3 :

- S905/S905X/S905D/S912
U-Boot support is blob free, full upstream
Linux support is fully upstream
SCPI firmware for DVFS, loaded by TF-A to SCP Co-Coprocessor
PSCI firmware for System Management, but BL31 has been reverse engineered and pushed to official TF-A repos, only BL2, BL30 and BL301 are still closed source
GPU can use the FOSS Lima (Panfrost for S912) driver
HW Video Decoder needs a firmware to be loaded

- S905X2/S905D2/S922X/A113D/S905X3/S905D3
U-Boot support is blob free, full upstream
Linux support is fully upstream
DVFS is blob-free, handled by Linux
PSCI firmware for System Management, but BL31 is being reverse engineered and pushed to official TF-A repos, only BL2, DDR setup firmwares, BL30 and BL301 are still closed source
GPU is BLOB Only
HW Video Decoder needs a firmware to be loaded

Neil

> Best regards. Sergey.

* Re: ARM core blob list
@ 2019-09-25 11:02 ` Maxime Ripard