linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* Trying to make sa1100 serial driver test-compile'able
@ 2019-07-03 16:58 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
From: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult @ 2019-07-03 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

I'd like to make the sa1100 serial driver test-compile'able. This needs
the UTCR* define's from arch/arm/mach-sa1100/include/mach/SA-1100.h.

Can we move them somewhere else, where it could be included from both
mach/hardware.h and the serial driver ? What would be a good place ?

BTW: that also affects the another driver: mfd/ipaq-micro.c:
Maybe we could also clean up the redundant defines in
arch/arm/include/debug/sa1100.S.

thx
--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
info@metux.net -- +49-151-27565287

* Re: Trying to make sa1100 serial driver test-compile'able
@ 2019-07-03 17:39 ` Russell King - ARM Linux admin
From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin @ 2019-07-03 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 06:58:54PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I'd like to make the sa1100 serial driver test-compile'able. This needs
> the UTCR* define's from arch/arm/mach-sa1100/include/mach/SA-1100.h.

Let's wait for the patch series that's already queued for this merge
window to land before we consider doing further big changes.  In
general, however, none of the SA11x0 stuff is buildable without stuff
from that include file.

What's your motivation here?

> Can we move them somewhere else, where it could be included from both
> mach/hardware.h and the serial driver ? What would be a good place ?
>
> BTW: that also affects the another driver: mfd/ipaq-micro.c:
> Maybe we could also clean up the redundant defines in
> arch/arm/include/debug/sa1100.S.
>

> thx
> --mtx
>
> --
> Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
> Free software and Linux embedded engineering
> info@metux.net -- +49-151-27565287

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

* Re: Trying to make sa1100 serial driver test-compile'able
@ 2019-07-04 15:35   ` Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
From: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult @ 2019-07-04 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03.07.19 19:39, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:

Hi,

>> I'd like to make the sa1100 serial driver test-compile'able. This needs
>> the UTCR* define's from arch/arm/mach-sa1100/include/mach/SA-1100.h.
>
> Let's wait for the patch series that's already queued for this merge
> window to land before we consider doing further big changes.

Okay.

> What's your motivation here?

Make it test-compile'able (adding || COMPILE_TEST ...).

I've got some patches for reducing some boilerplate - nothing really
spectacular: just moving the common request/release_port() functions
into generic functions, so several drivers don't need their own
implementations anymore. (they'll just have to set the .mapsize field
and use use the generic functions in the ops vector).

Didn't wanna send it to the lists before at least doing some compile
test cycles. But I don't have that hw nor a suited toolchain, so I'd
like to get compile-tests running first.

Do you have some sa1100 environment that could test my patch queue ?

--mtx