linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* [GIT,PULL] arm64: dts: hisilicon dts updates for v5.13
@ 2021-04-03 15:06 Wei Xu
From: Wei Xu @ 2021-04-03 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: soc, arm, linux-arm-kernel
  Cc: olof, arm, thunder.leizhen, xuwei5, zhangyi.ac, liguozhu,
	tangkunshan, huangdaode, jonathan.cameron, john.garry,
	shameerali.kolothum.thodi, salil.mehta, shiju.jose,
	mchehab+huawei

Hi ARM-SoC team,

Please consider to pull the following changes.
Thanks!

Best Regards,
Wei

---

The following changes since commit a38fd8748464831584a19438cbb3082b5a2dab15:

  Linux 5.12-rc2 (2021-03-05 17:33:41 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://github.com/hisilicon/linux-hisi.git tags/hisi-arm64-dt-for-5.13

for you to fetch changes up to 3d208c8207bfaa861a783c8fed9f31438fc0bcc6:

  arm64: dts: hisilicon: correct vendor prefix hisi to hisilicon (2021-04-02 15:12:52 +0800)

ARM64: DT: Hisilicon ARM64 DT updates for 5.13

- Correct the vendor prefix for hi3660 and hi3670

Zhen Lei (1):
      arm64: dts: hisilicon: correct vendor prefix hisi to hisilicon

 arch/arm64/boot/dts/hisilicon/hi3660.dtsi | 4 ++--
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/hisilicon/hi3670.dtsi | 4 ++--

* Re: [GIT,PULL] arm64: dts: hisilicon dts updates for v5.13
@ 2021-04-07 14:31 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-04-07 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Xu
  Cc: SoC Team, arm-soc, Linux ARM, Olof Johansson,
	Leizhen (ThunderTown), Zhangyi ac, Liguozhu (Kenneth),
	Tangkunshan, Daode Huang, Jonathan Cameron, John Garry,
	Shameerali Kolothum Thodi, Salil Mehta, Shiju Jose,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 5:06 PM Wei Xu <xuwei5@hisilicon.com> wrote:

> Hi ARM-SoC team,
>
> Please consider to pull the following changes.
> Thanks!

I'd prefer to not break compatibility of old kernels with new dts files
here, as this would prevent installing an old distro with an ebbr
compliant boot loader, for purely cosmetic reasons.  These are used
in the popular 'hikey' boards, which are used in many scenarios,
which makes it fairly likely that someone might want to install
something other than the very latest kernel.

Could you instead keep both the old and the new property in there
for at least a few years?

        Arnd

* Re: [GIT,PULL] arm64: dts: hisilicon dts updates for v5.13
@ 2021-04-08  9:52   ` Wei Xu
From: Wei Xu @ 2021-04-08  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: SoC Team, arm-soc, Linux ARM, Olof Johansson,
	Leizhen (ThunderTown), Zhangyi ac, Liguozhu (Kenneth),
	Tangkunshan, Daode Huang, Jonathan Cameron, John Garry,
	Shameerali Kolothum Thodi, Salil Mehta, Shiju Jose,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab

Hi Arnd,

On 2021/4/7 22:31, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 5:06 PM Wei Xu <xuwei5@hisilicon.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi ARM-SoC team,
>>
>> Please consider to pull the following changes.
>> Thanks!
>
> I'd prefer to not break compatibility of old kernels with new dts files
> here, as this would prevent installing an old distro with an ebbr
> compliant boot loader, for purely cosmetic reasons.  These are used
> in the popular 'hikey' boards, which are used in many scenarios,
> which makes it fairly likely that someone might want to install
> something other than the very latest kernel.
>
> Could you instead keep both the old and the new property in there
> for at least a few years?

Got it and it does make sense.
I will sync with Zhen Lei to see whether he want to do the change or not.
And then I will send out the new pull request.
Thanks!

Best Regards,
Wei

@ 2021-04-08  9:53   ` Leizhen (ThunderTown)
From: Leizhen (ThunderTown) @ 2021-04-08  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Wei Xu
  Cc: SoC Team, arm-soc, Linux ARM, Olof Johansson, Zhangyi ac,
	Liguozhu (Kenneth),
	Tangkunshan, Daode Huang, Jonathan Cameron, John Garry,
	Shameerali Kolothum Thodi, Salil Mehta, Shiju Jose,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab

On 2021/4/7 22:31, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 5:06 PM Wei Xu <xuwei5@hisilicon.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi ARM-SoC team,
>>
>> Please consider to pull the following changes.
>> Thanks!
>
> I'd prefer to not break compatibility of old kernels with new dts files
> here, as this would prevent installing an old distro with an ebbr
> compliant boot loader, for purely cosmetic reasons.  These are used

However, it seems unlikely that users only upgrade dts without upgrading the driver.

@ 2021-04-08 10:15     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-04-08 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leizhen (ThunderTown)
  Cc: Wei Xu, SoC Team, arm-soc, Linux ARM, Olof Johansson, Zhangyi ac,
	Liguozhu (Kenneth),
	Tangkunshan, Daode Huang, Jonathan Cameron, John Garry,
	Shameerali Kolothum Thodi, Salil Mehta, Shiju Jose,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:53 AM Leizhen (ThunderTown)
<thunder.leizhen@huawei.com> wrote:
> On 2021/4/7 22:31, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 5:06 PM Wei Xu <xuwei5@hisilicon.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi ARM-SoC team,
> >>
> >> Please consider to pull the following changes.
> >> Thanks!
> >
> > I'd prefer to not break compatibility of old kernels with new dts files
> > here, as this would prevent installing an old distro with an ebbr
> > compliant boot loader, for purely cosmetic reasons.  These are used
>
> However, it seems unlikely that users only upgrade dts without upgrading the driver.

The typical scenario is that you upgrade the OS by installing a new
kernel first, and then updating the DT. However, you might want to
still boot into an older kernel, e.g. for testing purposes when something
breaks, or to have multiple operating systems installed in parallel,
picking the rootfs through grub2.

           Arnd