linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* stmmac regression on ASUS TinkerBoard
@ 2019-06-23 14:14 Katsuhiro Suzuki
From: Katsuhiro Suzuki @ 2019-06-23 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giuseppe Cavallaro, Alexandre Torgue, Jose Abreu,
	Maxime Coquelin, netdev
  Cc: Andrew Lunn, Heiko Stuebner, linux-arm-kernel, Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hello stmmac maintainers,

I found this commit and that has some regressions:
   74371272f97f net: stmmac: Convert to phylink and remove phylib logic

My environment is:
   - ASUS TinkerBoard
   - SoC is RK3288
   - Using STMMAC driver
     drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-rk.c
   - Using this device-tree
     arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288.dtsi ('gmac: ethernet@ff290000' node)

Current linux-next on my environment, 'ifconfig eth0 up' does not work
correctly with following message...

-----
root@linaro-alip:~# ifconfig eth0 up
[  105.028916] rk_gmac-dwmac ff290000.ethernet eth0: stmmac_open: Cannot
attach to PHY (error: -19)
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
-----

I checked drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c and found
stmmac_init_phy() is going to fail if ethernet device node does not
have following property:
   - phy-handle
   - phy
   - phy-device

This commit broke the device-trees such as TinkerBoard. The mdio
subnode creating a mdio bus is changed to required or still optional?

Best Regards,
Katsuhiro Suzuki

* RE: stmmac regression on ASUS TinkerBoard
@ 2019-06-25  7:46 ` Jose Abreu
From: Jose Abreu @ 2019-06-25  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsuhiro Suzuki, Giuseppe Cavallaro, Alexandre Torgue,
	Maxime Coquelin, netdev
  Cc: Andrew Lunn, Heiko Stuebner, linux-arm-kernel, Linux Kernel Mailing List

From: Katsuhiro Suzuki <katsuhiro@katsuster.net>

> I checked drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c and found
> stmmac_init_phy() is going to fail if ethernet device node does not
> have following property:
>    - phy-handle
>    - phy
>    - phy-device
>
> This commit broke the device-trees such as TinkerBoard. The mdio
> subnode creating a mdio bus is changed to required or still optional?

Yeah, with PHYLINK the PHY binding is always required ...

How do you want to proceed ? I think DT bindings can never break between
releases so I will probably need to cook a patch for stmmac.

Thanks,
Jose Miguel Abreu

* Re: stmmac regression on ASUS TinkerBoard
@ 2019-06-25  7:50   ` Heiko Stübner
From: Heiko Stübner @ 2019-06-25  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Abreu
  Cc: Andrew Lunn, Alexandre Torgue, Katsuhiro Suzuki, netdev,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Maxime Coquelin, Giuseppe Cavallaro,
	linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 25. Juni 2019, 09:46:12 CEST schrieb Jose Abreu:
> From: Katsuhiro Suzuki <katsuhiro@katsuster.net>
>
> > I checked drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c and found
> > stmmac_init_phy() is going to fail if ethernet device node does not
> > have following property:
> >    - phy-handle
> >    - phy
> >    - phy-device
> >
> > This commit broke the device-trees such as TinkerBoard. The mdio
> > subnode creating a mdio bus is changed to required or still optional?
>
> Yeah, with PHYLINK the PHY binding is always required ...
>
> How do you want to proceed ? I think DT bindings can never break between
> releases so I will probably need to cook a patch for stmmac.

Correct ... old devicetrees on new kernels should not break.
Especially as this affects a big number of boards potentially loosing
network support and in the devicetree binding the phy property is also
marked as optional.

Heiko