linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* A question about Cortex-A73 erratum 858921
@ 2022-09-09  7:31 Kunkun Jiang
From: Kunkun Jiang @ 2022-09-09  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Rutland, Marc Zyngier, Daniel Lezcano, Thomas Gleixner
  Cc: wanghaibin.wang, Zenghui Yu,
	moderated list:ARM ARCHITECTED TIMER DRIVER, linux-kernel

Hi all,

Recently I am learning the code related to Arm arch timer. I found that the
Cortex-A73 erratum 858921 does not set the corresponding callback functions:
set_next_event_phys and set_next_event_virt like other erratums. Won't it
get the wrong value when reading the counter during setting next event?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Kunkun Jiang

* Re: A question about Cortex-A73 erratum 858921
@ 2022-09-09 12:23 ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2022-09-09 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kunkun Jiang
  Cc: Mark Rutland, Daniel Lezcano, Thomas Gleixner, wanghaibin.wang,
	Zenghui Yu, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

On Fri, 09 Sep 2022 08:31:43 +0100,
Kunkun Jiang <jiangkunkun@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently I am learning the code related to Arm arch timer. I found that the
> Cortex-A73 erratum 858921 does not set the corresponding callback functions:
> set_next_event_phys and set_next_event_virt like other erratums. Won't it
> get the wrong value when reading the counter during setting next event?

Yup, you're correct.

This is a regression introduced by a38b71b0833e
("clocksource/drivers/arm_arch_timer: Move system register timer
programming over to CVAL"). We used to use the TVAL accessor which
doesn't need a read of the counter, while the switch to CVAL needs
one. Obviously, I didn't enough pay attention to the A73 erratum.

Please send in a fix for this.

Thanks,

	M.

* Re: A question about Cortex-A73 erratum 858921
@ 2022-09-13 10:52   ` Kunkun Jiang
From: Kunkun Jiang @ 2022-09-13 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier
  Cc: Mark Rutland, Daniel Lezcano, Thomas Gleixner, wanghaibin.wang,
	Zenghui Yu, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your reply, I've sent a fix.
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220913104723.332-1-jiangkunkun@huawei.com/

Thanks,
Kunkun Jiang