linux-audit.redhat.com archive mirror
* Re: Possible typo in 22-ignore-chrony.rules
       [not found] ` <1824339272.504544.1610944958091@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2021-01-18 13:45   ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2021-01-18 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 11:42:38 PM EST Joe Wulf wrote:
> This snippit in both rules in that file (for both v2.8.5 and v3.0.0) "-F
> auid=unset -Fuid=chrony" for the second "-F" seems to be missing a space
> after the "-F".  Correct?

Yeah, it looks that way. Fixed. Thanks!

> IRT to the comment in this rule file, "These
> rules suppress the time-change event when chrony does time updates"; does
> that mean IF these two rules were not included or commented-out, that the
> chrony time updates would 'log' events in the audit log?

Yes.

> How do these rules 'work' to suppress chrony time updates from being
> logged?

The audit rules is a first match wins system. These rules are in a file with a
22 in the name which preceeds rules whose file name starts with 30. In 30-
stig.rules, we have a rule that asks for any use of adjtimex to be logged
which is the syscall chrony uses to update time. Since the rule in 22 has a
never action and it preceeds the one from the stig, it matches first and takes
the never action which is not to log it.

-Steve

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-01-18 13:45 UTC | newest]