linux-audit.redhat.com archive mirror
* Internal commands track in AuditD
@ 2021-06-20 20:42 Muthamilan Sargunaanandan
From: Muthamilan Sargunaanandan @ 2021-06-20 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

Hello SMEs,

I would like to add the Internal commands (example cd , |, > and etc) track
in AuditD.

Can I get the auditd rules to trace the user commands including the
internal commands.

Thanks in advance,
Muthu

* Re: Internal commands track in AuditD
@ 2021-06-21 13:26 ` Richard Guy Briggs
From: Richard Guy Briggs @ 2021-06-21 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muthamilan Sargunaanandan; +Cc: linux-audit

On 2021-06-20 15:42, Muthamilan Sargunaanandan wrote:
> Hello SMEs,

Hi Muthu,

> I would like to add the Internal commands (example cd , |, > and etc) track
> in AuditD.

Thanks for your question.  This can be a real challenge.

> Can I get the auditd rules to trace the user commands including the
> internal commands.

Since these are built-in to many shells, the processes running the
shells themselves would need to be monitored.  Other filters monitoring
specific files or users would likely be more helpful.  There may be a
need to provide system-level (/etc/* defaults) to those shells to
restrict their functionality if they prove to be a liability.

> Thanks in advance,
> Muthu

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems

* Re: Internal commands track in AuditD
@ 2021-06-21 17:16 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2021-06-21 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Sunday, June 20, 2021 4:42:48 PM EDT Muthamilan Sargunaanandan wrote:
> I would like to add the Internal commands (example cd , |, > and etc) track
> in AuditD.

Internal to what? Auditd just logs events to disk. The kernel is what decides
what should be logged. The kernel's view is pretty much what you'd see in
strace output. If there is something in the strace that is significant, a
syscall rule can be written for it.

> Can I get the auditd rules to trace the user commands including the
> internal commands.

The kernel doesn't have visibility into the meaning of anything users do. But
what it can do is record any keystrokes that a user may type regardless of
what program is receiving the characters. You can look into pam_tty_audit if
you want to do that. It will record these as TTY events that you can later
post process

-Steve