linux-audit.redhat.com archive mirror
* Upstream kernel development and the linux-audit mailing list
@ 2023-01-31 19:44 Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-01-31 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

Hello all,

Those of you who have been following the linux-audit mailing list
closely over the past several years have likely seen some issues
relating to upstream Linux Kernel development and the mailing list:
disagreements on the focus of the list (upstream vs upstream+distro),
and a moderated vs open posting policy.

In general the disagreements around the focus of the list, while
annoying at times, tended not to be significant issues.
Unfortunately, the issue of list moderation has been a problem with
other subsystem maintainers and developers dropping the audit list
from their discussions due to the moderation settings.  While I had
hoped that we might change the list to an open list, just like most of
the upstream kernel mailing lists, Steve has mentioned that he does
not want to make the change due to concerns over SPAM.

With that in mind, I'm going to suggest moving the development of
audit in the upstream Linux Kernel to a new mailing list hosted on
vger.kernel.org.  Many of you who participate, or at least monitor,
kernel development are no doubt already subscribed to at least one
mailing list hosted on vger as it is one of the most common (*the*
most common?) list host for Linux Kernel related development.

I don't want to make any statements with respect to Steve's audit
userspace, that is up to him, but I don't have any problem if he wants
to move upstream discussion of his audit userspace tools to the same
vger-based list.

I'll hold off on list creation for a couple of days in case anyone has
a well reasoned argument against moving upstream kernel development to
a new list.  However, I want to underscore that any argument to keep
upstream discussions on a moderated list will need to be strong enough
to counter potentially excluding other subsystems from the discussion.

--
paul-moore.com

@ 2023-02-03 16:39 ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-02-03 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 2:44 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:

> Hello all,

> I'll hold off on list creation for a couple of days in case anyone has
> a well reasoned argument against moving upstream kernel development to
> a new list.  However, I want to underscore that any argument to keep
> upstream discussions on a moderated list will need to be strong enough
> to counter potentially excluding other subsystems from the discussion.

Seeing no comments, I just sent a request off to the vger
postmaster(s) to create a new list; I'll send another update when it
is up and running.

--
paul-moore.com

@ 2023-02-07 15:31   ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-02-07 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit, audit

On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 11:39 AM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 2:44 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,

> > I'll hold off on list creation for a couple of days in case anyone has
> > a well reasoned argument against moving upstream kernel development to
> > a new list.  However, I want to underscore that any argument to keep
> > upstream discussions on a moderated list will need to be strong enough
> > to counter potentially excluding other subsystems from the discussion.
>
> Seeing no comments, I just sent a request off to the vger
> postmaster(s) to create a new list; I'll send another update when it
> is up and running.

The new list, audit@vger.kernel.org, is up and running and is CC'd on
this email.  While I'll continue to monitor linux-audit@redhat for
upstream Linux Kernel patch submissions for a period of time to ease
the transition, I do ask that everyone start submitting their upstream
kernel patches and bug reports to audit@vger; at some point in the
future I plan to stop monitoring linux-audit@redhat for patch
submissions, bug reports, etc.

Information on subscribing to the audit@vger list can be found below:

* http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#audit
* http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

I'll submit a patch to update the MAINTAINERS file with the new list
address later today.

--
paul-moore.com