linux-audit.redhat.com archive mirror
* auditing audispd vs kubernetes daemonsets
@ 2020-04-10 20:39 Gabriel Alford
From: Gabriel Alford @ 2020-04-10 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit, Juan Osorio Robles

Hello,

In the midst of discussing sending audit logs from a Red Hat CoreOS node to
some central audit collection and evaluation tool, the question came up
about using audispd instead of Daemonsets. Daemonsets are what is planned
for OpenShift. As I understand it, the general principle is to allow
auditing to flow through the subsystem, but does it need to flow through
the entire auditing workflow? Can a Daemonset be used instead of audispd,
or are there reasons audispd should be used over a Daemonset that some of
us just aren't aware of?

Thanks,

Gabriel Alford

Member of the technical staff

office of the chief technologist

red hat Public Sector

Red Hat

<https://www.redhat.com>

ralford@redhat.com    T: 972-707-6483 <650-254-4391>    M: 303-550-7234
<https://red.ht/sig> <https://red.ht/sig>

* Re: auditing audispd vs kubernetes daemonsets
@ 2020-04-13 13:57 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2020-04-13 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit; +Cc: Gabriel Alford, Juan Osorio Robles

On Friday, April 10, 2020 4:39:37 PM EDT Gabriel Alford wrote:
> In the midst of discussing sending audit logs from a Red Hat CoreOS node to
> some central audit collection and evaluation tool, the question came up
> about using audispd instead of Daemonsets. Daemonsets are what is planned
> for OpenShift. As I understand it, the general principle is to allow
> auditing to flow through the subsystem, but does it need to flow through
> the entire auditing workflow?

I'd say that if you ask 10 people on this list, you may find 10 different ways
they are doing it. It really depends on your requirements. Some places care
that you don't mix security officer and system admin roles. (Security Officer may
have a system admin under investigation.) In that case, you have to keep the
logs separate and this is likely to a MLS system. Other, less demanding
sites, don't care because they are one in the same. They send audit logs into
syslog and then pick it apart later. And then there are some tools that have
their own audisp plugin and transport the logs themselves.

> Can a Daemonset be used instead of audispd, or are there reasons audispd
> should be used over a Daemonset that some of us just aren't aware of?

Entirely up to the system architect and their security requirements.

-Steve

* Re: auditing audispd vs kubernetes daemonsets
@ 2020-04-13 16:00   ` Lenny Bruzenak
From: Lenny Bruzenak @ 2020-04-13 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit