linux-bcache.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* cache_mode none
@ 2012-10-04 10:24 Kingsly John
       [not found] ` <20121004102406.GC17229-Z3X8UqLNtc1Swagx7F3lBaxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: Kingsly John @ 2012-10-04 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi!

I've been trying out bcache over the last couple of weeks and couldn't find
this explained anywhere.

On my setup here while writing with cache_mode set to none, there's a
near constant 30-40kb/sec write happening to the flash device all through.
But in the other modes the amount of data written is significantly
higher.(While copying the same set of files into a freshly formatted bcache
device)

Does setting cache_mode to none just disable the cache for reading or does it
disable it for both reading and writing?

If it's only disabled for reads, then with cache_mode set to none would
bcache still recover from an unclean shutdown?

Kingsly

* Re: cache_mode none
       [not found] ` <20121004102406.GC17229-Z3X8UqLNtc1Swagx7F3lBaxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-10-04 19:53   ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2012-10-04 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 03:54:06PM +0530, Kingsly John wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been trying out bcache over the last couple of weeks and couldn't find
> this explained anywhere.
>
> On my setup here while writing with cache_mode set to none, there's a
> near constant 30-40kb/sec write happening to the flash device all through.
> But in the other modes the amount of data written is significantly
> higher.(While copying the same set of files into a freshly formatted bcache
> device)
>
> Does setting cache_mode to none just disable the cache for reading or does it
> disable it for both reading and writing?
>
> If it's only disabled for reads, then with cache_mode set to none would
> bcache still recover from an unclean shutdown?

In cache_mode none, nothing new will be added to the cache (neither from
writes nor cache misses), but the cache is still kept consistent -
that's the reason for the writing that still happens to the flash
devices, it's invalidating the cache whenever you do a write.

It will still read from the cache, because there might still be dirty
data in the cache.