linux-bcache.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* bcache vs enhanceio?
@ 2013-02-07 21:25 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2013-02-07 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi

Seems old flashcache and the new enhanceio can add flash drives on the run, while bcache needs the filsystem to be built with them.

What is the future of bcache in this setting?

--
Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 98013356

* Re: bcache vs enhanceio?
@ 2013-02-07 23:05 ` Andrew Thrift
       [not found]   ` <5114334D.7040709-3e6jenk95VYpDvLZ8AWkcaVXKuFTiq87@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Thrift @ 2013-02-07 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Roy,

This is by design, and minimizes the potential for data corruption.

If you have a backing device with an existing filesystem, and are
caching this in writeback mode, then reboot the system and the cache
device does not come up, the backing device could still come up and
could potentially be out of sync with the writes that were buffered to
the cache device.

With bcache in writeback mode, if it cannot attach the cache device it
will not register the backing device.

I am sure Kent will provide a much better answer than I have  :)

Regards,

Andrew

@ 2013-02-12 20:41     ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2013-02-12 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Thrift; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Wouldn't it be better to allow the sysadmin to determine the safety?
Also, if running in writethrough, why shouldn't an SSD be allowed to be added in realtime?
All of this works well with systems like ZFS. I really don't see a reason for a filesystem being created to allow caching

@ 2013-02-12 21:56       ` Kent Overstreet
       [not found]         ` <20130212215629.GJ27179-hpIqsD4AKlfQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2013-02-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk; +Cc: Andrew Thrift, linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 09:41:20PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better to allow the sysadmin to determine the safety?

The sysadmin can override, but - say you're using bcache for your root
filesystem and after a reboot the SSD doesn't come up, for whatever
reason.

How's the sysadmin supposed to know for sure whether there was dirty
data in the cache? There's no way to reliably track that without bcache
tracking it itself in the backing device's superblock.

Say there wasn't any dirty data in the cache, so you can safely run
without the cache device - so you do, so you can boot up and use your
machine.

Then later you figure out what's wrong with the SSD (cable got
unplugged?), so you reenable caching.

But the cache is now inconsistent - you _cannot_ use that cached data.
With the backing device superblock, bcache can trivially note that the
cache is out of sync and make sure that that cached data isn't used.

If we didn't have that, the sysadmin would have to make _sure_ to use
the right flag when reattaching to specify cached data shouldn't be
used, otherwise he just corrupted all his data.

> Also, if running in writethrough, why shouldn't an SSD be allowed to be added in realtime?

If you're running in writethrough, you'd already be caching... not sure
what you mean?

> All of this works well with systems like ZFS. I really don't see a reason for a filesystem being created to allow caching

ZFS is a filesystem that also does caching, bcache isn't a filesystem.
Did you get something backwards...?

* Re: bcache vs enhanceio?
       [not found]         ` <20130212215629.GJ27179-hpIqsD4AKlfQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-02-19 12:48           ` Joseph Glanville
       [not found]             ` <CAOzFzEiLeW=nvuwcrVrs2xO__92ze7b6BDt8MkAkaNctuSR9Vg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Glanville @ 2013-02-19 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet
  Cc: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Andrew Thrift, linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 13 February 2013 08:56, Kent Overstreet <koverstreet-hpIqsD4AKlfQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 09:41:20PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be better to allow the sysadmin to determine the safety?
>
> The sysadmin can override, but - say you're using bcache for your root
> filesystem and after a reboot the SSD doesn't come up, for whatever
> reason.
>
> How's the sysadmin supposed to know for sure whether there was dirty
> data in the cache? There's no way to reliably track that without bcache
> tracking it itself in the backing device's superblock.
>
> Say there wasn't any dirty data in the cache, so you can safely run
> without the cache device - so you do, so you can boot up and use your
> machine.
>
> Then later you figure out what's wrong with the SSD (cable got
> unplugged?), so you reenable caching.
>
> But the cache is now inconsistent - you _cannot_ use that cached data.
> With the backing device superblock, bcache can trivially note that the
> cache is out of sync and make sure that that cached data isn't used.
>
> If we didn't have that, the sysadmin would have to make _sure_ to use
> the right flag when reattaching to specify cached data shouldn't be
> used, otherwise he just corrupted all his data.

Looking through the enhanceio repo it seems possible to do it without
a superblock by utilizing customized udev rules.
Said rules prevent the backing device from being using to mount the
root filesystem before the cache is attached.

>> Also, if running in writethrough, why shouldn't an SSD be allowed to be added in realtime?
>
> If you're running in writethrough, you'd already be caching... not sure
> what you mean?
>
>> All of this works well with systems like ZFS. I really don't see a reason for a filesystem being created to allow caching
>
> ZFS is a filesystem that also does caching, bcache isn't a filesystem.
> Did you get something backwards...?

CTO | Orion Virtualisation Solutions | www.orionvm.com.au
Phone: 1300 56 99 52 | Mobile: 0428 754 846

* Re: bcache vs enhanceio?
       [not found]             ` <CAOzFzEiLeW=nvuwcrVrs2xO__92ze7b6BDt8MkAkaNctuSR9Vg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-02-19 15:33               ` Joseph Glanville
From: Joseph Glanville @ 2013-02-19 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet
  Cc: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Andrew Thrift, linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

> Looking through the enhanceio repo it seems possible to do it without
> a superblock by utilizing customized udev rules.
> Said rules prevent the backing device from being using to mount the
> root filesystem before the cache is attached.

Just to folow up with the udev config mentioned:
https://github.com/stec-inc/EnhanceIO/tree/master/Documents

--

@ 2013-02-19 16:47               ` Jason Warr
From: Jason Warr @ 2013-02-19 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Glanville, Kent Overstreet
  Cc: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Andrew Thrift, linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

>>> Also, if running in writethrough, why shouldn't an SSD be allowed to be added in realtime?
>> If you're running in writethrough, you'd already be caching... not sure
>> what you mean?

Perhaps he means being restricted to only being able to add a write-through cache without the superblock prep?  On a reboot or cache device fault event it would not cause any corruption, just performance impact back to where it was before the device was added.

* Re: bcache vs enhanceio?
       [not found]               ` <5123B976.6050400-/cow75dQlsI@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-02-19 20:40                 ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2013-02-19 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Warr
  Cc: Joseph Glanville, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Andrew Thrift,
	linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:42:14AM -0600, Jason Warr wrote:

> On 02/19/2013 11:17 AM, Joseph Glanville wrote:
> > I am not Kent.. but I can answer your questions.
> >
> > 8<--- snip ---->8
> >> A question for Kent, once you have bcache and it's tools built,
> >> installed and running, is there anything to stop a user from always
> >> tagging devices of whatever type you choose from having the superblock
> >> info to accept a cache dynamically?  Example, if I create an MD RAID
> >> device and before I pvcreate or anything else with it I prep it for
> >> bcache but don't actually attach a cache device, is there any negative
> >> effects that can come from that?  Can I then at anytime attach a cache
> >> device to it?  I realize that once attached in writeback it becomes
> >> non-detachable.  Same question for raw sd devices and LVM volumes.
> > In short yes, there are no detrimental effects for having backing
> > devices with superblocks that don't have associated cache sets.
>
> That's what I thought.  This could be an argument for integration with
> DM or MD.  Up-rev the superblock or metadata version and have the bcache
> bits in it by default.

Yeah, that idea's been kicked around before. A couple people have said
they were going to work on it, but nothing's happened.

> > To touch on the second point about writeback - it's not so much that
> > it's non-detachable it's that you don't want the backing device to be
> > used while the cache is not attached and is dirty (contains unflushed
> > data).
> >
> > You can detach the cache safely from a writeback device by first
> > switching the cache to writethrough (or none from memory) and waiting
> > for the data to flush to the backing device.
> > Once that is done you can either continue to use it in writethrough
> > mode or you can detach it completely.
> >
> :) Typing faster than I am thinking.  I should have said non-detachable
> while in writeback mode, or rather while it contains "dirty" blocks.

You actually don't have to switch out of writeback mode to safely detach
- if you detach in writeback mode, it detaches as soon as it's finished
flushing all the dirty data.

* Re: bcache vs enhanceio?
       [not found]           ` <CAOzFzEj=Gna7AQK9f01i9a64qXw0TFjNPjsEViTRcaLKDdcHpg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-02-19 17:42             ` Jason Warr
       [not found]               ` <5123B976.6050400-/cow75dQlsI@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Warr @ 2013-02-19 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Glanville
  Cc: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Kent Overstreet, Andrew Thrift,

       [not found]       ` <5123AB2B.9020209-/cow75dQlsI@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-02-19 17:17         ` Joseph Glanville
       [not found]           ` <CAOzFzEj=Gna7AQK9f01i9a64qXw0TFjNPjsEViTRcaLKDdcHpg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Glanville @ 2013-02-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Warr
  Cc: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Kent Overstreet, Andrew Thrift,

@ 2013-02-19 16:41     ` Jason Warr
       [not found]       ` <5123AB2B.9020209-/cow75dQlsI@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Warr @ 2013-02-19 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Kent Overstreet
  Cc: Andrew Thrift, linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 02/19/2013 06:23 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> [...]
Unfair is an understatement.  But I also think it is quite a sham how
many things that Sun and now Oracle has been bromising to put in for
years that seem now to be fairy tails.  The two biggest ones that I can
think of are VDEV removal and RAIDZ[2,3] stripe expansion.

I've been working with ZFS since I was able to get the first internal
alpha from the team at Sun that would apply to the Nevada dev tree.  I
think that was about build 17.  I believe it was 27a that it finally
made it in to the ON consolidation.  Really smart bunch of guys working
on that at the time.  Almost all of them have jumped ship now though.

>> The Linux tool chain can be more complicated but it is vastly more
>> flexible. With the addition of a caching target all of the pieces are
>> there to be able to build a tiering storage system in any way your use
>> case needs it to be.
> Still, flashcache/enhanceio seems to be able to handle this in a very flexible way. I really don't want to recreate my home RAID (7,2TiB) just to add cache to it…
I can agree with this on principal but having to re-do it for cache can
have some other positive effects.  Some that I can think of is it give
you an opportunity to get LV's re-aligned if your like most and have
extended them one or more times, Perhaps your volume layout is not ideal
and you have been putting off fixing that, etc...

Chances are that if your wanting to add a cache the filesystems are
relatively busy and may benefit from being re-created to reduce file
fragmentation.

It would be very nice to be able to do but in order for it to happen
your entire block tool chain would have to be prepared for it to be a
possibility for it to happen.  That's why ZFS can do that.

       [not found] ` <20130213041453.9D6F6F5149-QnAKKd0jTYMSbMbpMVjRk+TW4wlIGRCZ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-02-19 12:23   ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2013-02-19 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jason-/cow75dQlsI