linux-bcache.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Enabling discard rendered caching device unuseable
@ 2017-11-06 10:04 Clemens Eisserer
From: Clemens Eisserer @ 2017-11-06 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache

Hi,

After using bcache for 9 months without any issues, I discovered the
"discard" flag for the caching device.
Running 4.13.5 I gave it a try, however after reboot the caching
device failed to register with:

At reboot bcache failed with:
prio_read() bad csum reading priorities
prio_read() bad magic reading priorities

The SSD used as caching device was a OCZ-OCTANE with the latest
firmware, which worked (and works) flawlessly for years and has no
SMART issues.

Best regards, Clemens

* Re: Enabling discard rendered caching device unuseable
@ 2017-11-07 18:17 ` Michael Lyle
From: Michael Lyle @ 2017-11-07 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Eisserer; +Cc: linux-bcache

Clemens--

I'm sorry for this experience; I've added discard to my list of things
to review.

I suggest avoiding discard for bcache; since the cache device grows
until it is nearly full and is kept in that state, there is little
benefit from it.

Mike

@ 2018-01-15  9:31   ` Clemens Eisserer
From: Clemens Eisserer @ 2018-01-15  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache

Hi Michael,

> I'm sorry for this experience; I've added discard to my list of things
> to review.
>
> I suggest avoiding discard for bcache; since the cache device grows
> until it is nearly full and is kept in that state, there is little
> benefit from it.

Good to know, thanks for the advice.

Best regards, Clemens