linux-bcache.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Partitions?
@ 2012-11-02  3:24 James Sefton
       [not found] ` <loom.20121102T041855-678-eS7Uydv5nfjZ+VzJOa5vwg@public.gmane.org>
From: James Sefton @ 2012-11-02  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

I have got my /dev/bcache0 device showing up and attached the cache.

I then used fdisk to add a single partition to it but it gave an error on exit:

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid argument.
The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at
the next reboot or after you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8)

I have had this before quite a bit and often have to run partprobe after leaving
fdisk for the partition table to be read and partitions populated in /dev.

However, when running partprobe (or partprobe /dev/bcache0) I get the following:

Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition
/dev/bcache0p1 -- Invalid argument.  This means Linux won't know about any
changes you made to /dev/bcache0p1 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it
or use it in any way before rebooting.
Error: Failed to add partition 1 (Invalid argument)

I checked /dev and confirmed that bcache0p1 was not present.

What did I do wrong?

Many thanks,

James

* Re: Partitions?
       [not found] ` <loom.20121102T041855-678-eS7Uydv5nfjZ+VzJOa5vwg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-11-02 15:33   ` Kent Overstreet
       [not found]     ` <20121102153335.GD14917-hpIqsD4AKlfQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2012-11-02 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Sefton; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 03:24:13AM +0000, James Sefton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have got my /dev/bcache0 device showing up and attached the cache.
>
> I then used fdisk to add a single partition to it but it gave an error on exit:
>
> WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid argument.
> The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at
> the next reboot or after you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8)
>

> I have had this before quite a bit and often have to run partprobe after leaving
> fdisk for the partition table to be read and partitions populated in /dev.
>
> However, when running partprobe (or partprobe /dev/bcache0) I get the following:
>
> Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition
> /dev/bcache0p1 -- Invalid argument.  This means Linux won't know about any
> changes you made to /dev/bcache0p1 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it
> or use it in any way before rebooting.
> Error: Failed to add partition 1 (Invalid argument)
>

> I checked /dev and confirmed that bcache0p1 was not present.
>

> What did I do wrong?

Oh, that's nothing you did... the bcache code is just creating an
unpartitionalable block device.

I suppose there's no real reason for that...

I _think_ all you'd need to change is one line, in
drivers/md/bcache/super.c: if you search through the file, you'll find a
call to alloc_disk(1) somewhere - change that to alloc_disk(16).

Want to try that and let me know if it works?

* RE: Partitions?
       [not found]     ` <20121102153335.GD14917-hpIqsD4AKlfQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-11-02 19:11       ` James Sefton
From: James Sefton @ 2012-11-02 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Awesome.   1 byte change to the source!

I now have bcache0p1 in /dev.
Not used it yet but so far it's looking good. :)

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-bcache" in the body of a message to majordomo-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html