linux-block.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [LSF/MM TOPIC] Atomic Writes
@ 2019-02-11 17:45 Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2019-02-11 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc; +Cc: linux-block, linux-fsdevel

Background
----------
Atomic writes are writes that either succeed in their entirety or that are
not executed if a power failure occurs. It is well known that using atomic
writes can improve database and filesystem performance significantly [1,2].
Although the NVMe and SCSI standards support atomic writes, neither the
block layer nor filesystems offer a standardized interface for submitting
atomic writes. Hence the proposal to add block device and filesystem
independent interfaces for atomic writes.

Block Layer Proposal
--------------------
* Block drivers (NVMe, SCSI, ...) that support atomic writes set a queue
  flag that makes it clear to the block layer core that support for atomic
  writes is present.
* Atomic writes are submitted from kernel context by marking individual
  requests as atomic. One possible approach is to introduce a new bio flag.
  Another possible approach is to introduce a new request type, e.g.
  REQ_OP_ATOMIC_WRITE.
* Introduce new limits for atomic writes such that it is guaranteed that
  atomic writes will respect the device atomic write alignment and size
  restrictions. We will probably need limits that correspond to the NAWUN,
  NAWUNPF, NABSN, NABO and NABSPF parameters from the NVMe Identify
  Namespace response.
* Kernel code that submits atomic writes is responsible for ensuring that
  the write request size does not exceed the maximum size advertised by the
  request queue. Fail atomic writes that are too large, not aligned or do
  not satisfy the atomic write limits in some other way.
* Add support in blk_stack_limits() for the atomic write limits.
* Allow merging of regular writes with other regular writes. Allow merging
  of atomic writes with other atomic writes. Do not allow merging of regular
  writes with atomic writes. Respect the device limits when merging atomic
  write requests.
* Continue allowing splitting of regular write requests but do not allow
  splitting of atomic writes.
* Make it possible to submit atomic writes from user space. One possible
  approach is to add an O_ATOMIC flag to the open() system call.
* Applications that want to submit both atomic and non-atomic writes must
  open the block device twice - once with and once without the O_ATOMIC
  flag.
* Another possible approach is to add a new flag to the flags arguments of
  the pwritev2() system call and the asynchronous I/O iocb structure.

Filesystem Proposal
-------------------
* Make it possible to submit atomic writes from user space. Just like for
  block devices, one possible approach is to add an O_ATOMIC flag to the
  open() system call. Another possible approach is to add a new flag to the
  flags arguments of the pwritev2() system call and the asynchronous I/O iocb
  structure. Note: Chris Mason had already proposed in 2013 to introduce the
  O_ATOMIC flag for filesystems [3].
* Filesystems may but do not have to submit atomic writes to the block layer
  to implement O_ATOMIC. Using a traditional transaction mechanism to
  implement O_ATOMIC is also fine but will result in write amplification.
* Introduce a standardized interface for querying the filesystem atomic write
  limits, e.g. by adding attributes under /sys/fs/.