linux-block.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Deadlock in wbt / rq-qos
@ 2021-06-13 15:49 Omar Kilani
From: Omar Kilani @ 2021-06-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-block

Hi there,

I appear to have stumbled upon a deadlock in wbt or rq-qos.

My journal of a lot of data points is over here:

https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/12204

I initially deadlocked on RHEL 8.4's 4.18.0-305.3.1.el8_4.x86_64
kernel, but the code in blk-wbt.c / blk-rq-qos.c is functionally
identical to 5.13.0-rc5, so I tried that and I'm able to deadlock that
as well. I believe the same code exists all the way back to 5.0.1.

The Something Weird (tm) about this is that it possibly only happens
on AMD EPYC CPUs. I just don't have the necessary setup to confirm
that either way, but it's a hunch because I can't reproduce it on an
Ice Lake VM (but the Ice Lake VM also has more storage bandwidth so
that could be the thing, and I can't decrease that storage bandwidth,
so I can't do a like-for-like test.)

I "instrumented" wbt / rq-qos with a bunch of printk's which you can
see with this patch:

https://gist.github.com/omarkilani/2ad526c3546b40537b546450c8f685dc

I then ran my repro workload to cause the deadlock, here's the dmesg
output just before the deadlock and then the backtraces with my printk
patch applied:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/omarkilani/ff0a96d872e09b4fb648272d104e0053/raw/d3da3974162f8aa87b7309317af80929fadf250f/dmesg.wbt.deadlock.log

Happy to apply whatever / run whatever to get more data.

Thanks!

Regards,
Omar