linux-block.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [GIT PULL] Follow up block fix
@ 2018-12-06 23:59 Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2018-12-06 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-block

Hi Linus,

Just a single followup fix to the corruption fix from yesterday. We have
an exported interface that does direct dispatch, with DM being the sole
user of it. Change that to do bypass insert always instead of attempting
direct dispatch. This fixes a deadlock that can happen on DM.
Additionally, it gets rid of any exported user of direct dispatch, and
enables DM to drop any BUSY handling from using the interface.

Please pull!

  git://git.kernel.dk/linux-block.git tags/for-linus-20181206

Jens Axboe (1):
      block: fix direct dispatch issue failure for clones

 block/blk-core.c | 3 ++-

Jens Axboe

* Re: [GIT PULL] Follow up block fix
@ 2018-12-07  0:20 ` Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2018-12-07  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-block

On Thu, 2018-12-06 at 16:59 -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
> Just a single followup fix to the corruption fix from yesterday. We have
> an exported interface that does direct dispatch, with DM being the sole
> user of it. Change that to do bypass insert always instead of attempting
> direct dispatch. This fixes a deadlock that can happen on DM.
> Additionally, it gets rid of any exported user of direct dispatch, and
> enables DM to drop any BUSY handling from using the interface.
>
> Please pull!
>

>   git://git.kernel.dk/linux-block.git tags/for-linus-20181206

Hi Jens,

Which branch does that tag correspond to? Even after having run git fetch
--tags I can't find that tag in your repository. Additionally, the patch on
your for-linus branch is missing the "Cc: stable" and "Reported-by:" tags
that you had promised to add. Did I look at the wrong branch?

Thanks,

Bart.

* Re: [GIT PULL] Follow up block fix
@ 2018-12-07  0:26   ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2018-12-07  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche, Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-block

On 12/6/18 5:20 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-12-06 at 16:59 -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> Just a single followup fix to the corruption fix from yesterday. We have
>> an exported interface that does direct dispatch, with DM being the sole
>> user of it. Change that to do bypass insert always instead of attempting
>> direct dispatch. This fixes a deadlock that can happen on DM.
>> Additionally, it gets rid of any exported user of direct dispatch, and
>> enables DM to drop any BUSY handling from using the interface.
>>
>> Please pull!
>>

>>   git://git.kernel.dk/linux-block.git tags/for-linus-20181206
>
> Hi Jens,
>
> Which branch does that tag correspond to? Even after having run git fetch
> --tags I can't find that tag in your repository.

I pushed it before I sent the email, where are you looking?

http://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-block/tag/?h=for-linus-20181206

> Additionally, the patch on your for-linus branch is missing the "Cc:
> stable" and "Reported-by:" tags that you had promised to add. Did I
> look at the wrong branch?

Doh I did - Linus, I'm going to amend the commit with that info and push
it out again, jfyi. Now done.

--

@ 2018-12-07  0:31     ` Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2018-12-07  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-block

On Thu, 2018-12-06 at 17:26 -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 12/6/18 5:20 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> > Which branch does that tag correspond to? Even after having run git fetch
> > --tags I can't find that tag in your repository.
>
> I pushed it before I sent the email, where are you looking?
>
> http://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-block/tag/?h=for-linus-20181206

On my development system git has been configured to fetch from the following repository:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/axboe/linux-block.git/

Should I fetch your branches from the git.kernel.dk repository instead?

Thanks,

Bart.

* Re: [GIT PULL] Follow up block fix
@ 2018-12-07  0:33       ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2018-12-07  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche, Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-block

On 12/6/18 5:31 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-12-06 at 17:26 -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On 12/6/18 5:20 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>>> Which branch does that tag correspond to? Even after having run git fetch
>>> --tags I can't find that tag in your repository.
>>
>> I pushed it before I sent the email, where are you looking?
>>
>> http://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-block/tag/?h=for-linus-20181206
>
> On my development system git has been configured to fetch from the following repository:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/axboe/linux-block.git/
>
> Should I fetch your branches from the git.kernel.dk repository instead?

Ah I see, I always push to git.kernel.dk, and that syncs to git.kernel.org
only every hour or so. So either one will work, but you might be a bit
behind if you use git.kernel.org.

--

@ 2018-12-07  2:12         ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2018-12-07  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche, Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-block

On 12/6/18 5:33 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 12/6/18 5:31 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>>>
>>> I pushed it before I sent the email, where are you looking?
>>>
>>> http://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-block/tag/?h=for-linus-20181206
>>
>> On my development system git has been configured to fetch from the following repository:
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/axboe/linux-block.git/
>>
>> Should I fetch your branches from the git.kernel.dk repository instead?
>
> Ah I see, I always push to git.kernel.dk, and that syncs to git.kernel.org
> only every hour or so. So either one will work, but you might be a bit
> behind if you use git.kernel.org.

Linus, I just know notice you are not on the CC for the discussion about
the patch. Don't pull this one yet. It'll solve the issue, but it'll also
mess up the BUSY feedback loop that DM relies on for good merging of
sequential IO. Testing a new patch now, will push it to you when folks
are happy and when my testing has completed.

--

@ 2018-12-07  4:03           ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2018-12-07  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: Bart Van Assche, linux-block