linux-block.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* SCSI sync unsupported: who's guilty?
@ 2020-06-25 11:51 Janpieter Sollie
From: Janpieter Sollie @ 2020-06-25 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-block

Hi everyone,
During testing of bcachefs with a aacraid controller, I encountered the following issue: The
bcachefs kernel thread reports a critical IO error due to aacraid disabling SCSI command
SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE by default.
Who should handle those cases?
- adapter: does it need to "discard" the invalid CDB and act like it completed successfully?
- aacraid: enable when explicity requested?
- block: does it need to "skip" the block error and move on?
- kernel thread: "ignore" the error?
I have no idea what the proper way to do here would be.  Anyone who does?
Janpieter.

* Re: SCSI sync unsupported: who's guilty?
@ 2020-06-25 13:57 ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2020-06-25 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janpieter Sollie, linux-block

On 6/25/20 1:51 PM, Janpieter Sollie wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> During testing of bcachefs with a aacraid controller, I encountered the following issue: The
> bcachefs kernel thread reports a critical IO error due to aacraid disabling SCSI command
> SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE by default.
> Who should handle those cases?
> - adapter: does it need to "discard" the invalid CDB and act like it completed successfully?
> - aacraid: enable when explicity requested?
> - block: does it need to "skip" the block error and move on?
> - kernel thread: "ignore" the error?
> I have no idea what the proper way to do here would be.  Anyone who does?
> Janpieter.

This would be more properly redirected to the linux-scsi mailing list;
but anyway I think your problem should be solved by passing the module
parameter 'aac_cache=6' to the aacraid module.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke            Teamlead Storage & Networking
hare@suse.de                               +49 911 74053 688