linux-bluetooth.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Is it possible to parallelize mesh node provisioning?
@ 2020-05-28 11:02 Jiaquan He
       [not found] ` <1406bc3a74bb10bf69dd89a19bc8b353a429fecc.camel@intel.com>
From: Jiaquan He @ 2020-05-28 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hi All,

I’m working on a bluetooth mesh node provisioner based on BlueZ 5.54, and expecting to provision a bunch of devices (mesh nodes).

I’m just simply calling org.bluez.mesh.Management1.AddNode multiple times, but it seems that we can have only one prov-initiator at a time.

So is there any way to have multiple provisioning sessions at the same time? Or does it make sense to provision multiple nodes at the same time?

Thank you.

Regards,
Jiaquan

* Re: Is it possible to parallelize mesh node provisioning?
       [not found] ` <1406bc3a74bb10bf69dd89a19bc8b353a429fecc.camel@intel.com>
@ 2020-05-28 18:26   ` Gix, Brian
From: Gix, Brian @ 2020-05-28 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stotland, Inga; +Cc: linux-bluetooth, jiaquan.he

Hi Jiaquan,

> On May 28, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Stotland, Inga <inga.stotland@intel.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Jiaquan,
>
> Is it really practical to have a parallelized provisioning process? When the provisioner is performing device authentication it's pretty much a 1:1 operation, especially with OOB methods being used.
> And the provisioning operation itself doesn't really take much time.
>
> I guess, provisioning "in-bulk" could be parallelized for "just-works" scenario, but this approach is strongly discouraged for obvious security reasons. And even then, provisioning one device at a time would be fast, picking one by one from unprovisioned dev beacons.

I’d just like to echo Inga’s discouragements regarding the security risks of Bulk un-manned “Just Works” style provisioning, but also to add that no, multiple provisioning “sessions” are not currently supported, and I do not see them as something we plan on supporting.