linux-bluetooth.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Bluetooth part of RTL8723BS
@ 2020-06-01  6:18 Tobias Baumann
From: Tobias Baumann @ 2020-06-01  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth
  Cc: alistair, hdegoede, Larry.Finger, jwboyer, Martin Blumenstingl

REF: Linux Firmware commit e6b9001e91110c654573b8f8e2db6155d10d3b57
<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/commit/rtl_bt?id=e6b9001e91110c654573b8f8e2db6155d10d3b57>

REF: rtl_bt: Add firmware and configuration files for the Bluetooth part
of RTL8723BS

Hello Community

Hardware :
  M8S ARM S812 RTL8723BS
ODIS Wintab8 Intel Atom RTL8723BS

I'm working together with Martin (xdarklight) to get the new kernel
working for older Android Tv boxes with ARM chipset (Amlogic s802 -
Amlogic S812; Ubuntu , Debian ).

After Martin has successfully integrated the patch for SDIO controller .
I got my internal Wlan Adapter (RTL8723BS) working.

We are now also activating the Bluetooth part. But we encountered the
problem with the config file.  Hans was nice enough to extract the
RTL8723BS firmware file from the Realtek driver file.

As Hans has already written there are almost no differences in the
tablet area with config file, I can only confirm this after looking at
different driver files (Realtek bluetooth UART).

I found only 4 ACPI ID : once the already mentioned OBDA:8723 which is
the default version ,one for ACER tablet OBDA:0623 and the BESTbuy (
Chuwi Hi10 ? ) OBDA:0242 ; in the driver version of 2015/2016 there were
still 2 config files available(standart and ACER) in the version 2017
only ONE so that also the Default, ACER and BESTbuy use the same config
files.

I myself and Martin are currently using the two files from the firmware
repro successfully.

!! So I ask you to remove the ACPI ID from the file and rename the file
to RTL8723b_config.bin ; furthermore I ask you to set the reference when
that it corresponds to the standard file name. !!!!

http://www.avg.com

* Re: Bluetooth part of RTL8723BS
@ 2020-06-01 13:06 ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2020-06-01 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Baumann, linux-bluetooth
  Cc: alistair, Larry.Finger, jwboyer, Martin Blumenstingl

Hi Tobias,

On 6/1/20 8:18 AM, Tobias Baumann wrote:
> REF: Linux Firmware commit e6b9001e91110c654573b8f8e2db6155d10d3b57 <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/commit/rtl_bt?id=e6b9001e91110c654573b8f8e2db6155d10d3b57>
>
> REF: rtl_bt: Add firmware and configuration files for the Bluetooth part of RTL8723BS
>

> Hello Community
>
> Hardware :
>   M8S ARM S812 RTL8723BS
> ODIS Wintab8 Intel Atom RTL8723BS
>

> I'm working together with Martin (xdarklight) to get the new kernel working for older Android Tv boxes with ARM chipset (Amlogic s802 - Amlogic S812; Ubuntu , Debian ).
>
> After Martin has successfully integrated the patch for SDIO controller . I got my internal Wlan Adapter (RTL8723BS) working.
>
> We are now also activating the Bluetooth part. But we encountered the problem with the config file.  Hans was nice enough to extract the RTL8723BS firmware file from the Realtek driver file.
>
> As Hans has already written there are almost no differences in the tablet area with config file, I can only confirm this after looking at different driver files (Realtek bluetooth UART).
>
> I found only 4 ACPI ID : once the already mentioned OBDA:8723 which is the default version ,one for ACER tablet OBDA:0623 and the BESTbuy ( Chuwi Hi10 ? ) OBDA:0242 ; in the driver version of 2015/2016 there were still 2 config files available(standart and ACER) in the version 2017 only ONE so that also the Default, ACER and BESTbuy use the same config files.
>
> I myself and Martin are currently using the two files from the firmware repro successfully.
>
> !! So I ask you to remove the ACPI ID from the file and rename the file to RTL8723b_config.bin ; furthermore I ask you to set the reference when loading the RTL8723BS Blueooth driver to the RTL8723b_firmware.bin so that it corresponds to the standard file name. !!!!

We cannot simply remove the ACPI-id from the filename the driver is looking for,
if we do that then existing installs with the current linux-firmware version which
has the rtl8723bs_config-OBDA8723.bin file will stop working as they now try to
load the non existing rtl8723bs_config.bin file.

If you believe that having a single config file will work for all device-tree based
platforms, then you can modify the bluetooth driver to load rtl8723bs_config.bin in
the device-tree case.

The linux-firmware installation bits allow adding links at installation time,
so for the linux-firmware side you can then have the installation create a symlink
by adding the symlink info to the WHENCE file in the linux-firmware repository, see
some of the existing "Link:" entries already present in that file.

Regards,

Hans