* Re: TRIM + RAID Support?
@ 2010-05-04 16:12 Justin
From: Justin @ 2010-05-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: josef; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Awesome.

Has there been a lot of testing with RAID + TRIM setups?

From: David Woodhouse @ 2010-05-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin; +Cc: josef, linux-btrfs

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 16:12 +0000, Justin wrote:
> Awesome.

Which is more than we can say for your use of email. Please don't
top-post, and please don't use broken mail clients which omit the
correct References: and In-Reply-To: threading headers from replies,
thus disassociating your response from the thread it was supposed to be
part of.

> Has there been a lot of testing with RAID + TRIM setups?

Not so much that anyone else has shown any interest in these patches, or
even independently noticed and reported the bugs they fix:

http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/btrfs-raid56.git/commitdiff/3885963f
http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/btrfs-raid56.git/commitdiff/3de9680a

David.Woodhouse@intel.com                              Intel Corporation

* Re: TRIM + RAID Support?
@ 2010-05-04 15:58 ` Josef Bacik
From: Josef Bacik @ 2010-05-04 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 03:53:17PM +0000, Justin wrote:
> As I understand it, hardware RAID controllers do not pass the TRIM command to it's disks; btrfs deals with the disk directly, supports TRIM, and supports RAID. I have seen no explicit mention of being able to combine RAID and TRIM support using btrfs with independent disks so I'm asking: When btrfs is in RAID mode, does it still pass the TRIM commands to the SSD?

If TRIM is enabled then yes it should.  Thanks,

Josef

* TRIM + RAID Support?
@ 2010-05-04 15:53 Justin
From: Justin @ 2010-05-04 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

As I understand it, hardware RAID controllers do not pass the TRIM command to it's disks; btrfs deals with the disk directly, supports TRIM, and supports RAID. I have seen no explicit mention of being able to combine RAID and TRIM support using btrfs with independent disks so I'm asking: When btrfs is in RAID mode, does it still pass the TRIM commands to the SSD?

   Justin

Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/4be042fc378a34813fst01vuc