* Better scrub user experience
@ 2020-06-13 19:03 Markus Kramer
From: Markus Kramer @ 2020-06-13 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi.
I‘m looking for a more user friendly way to performing btrfs scrub. Currently, I’m running it monthly via anacron, but this is not very satisfying. I get problems like hanging system suspend, no retires etc (I’m on Ubuntu 20.04).

I think an ideal solution for desktop users would look like this:
1. After boot or when a new device is connected it checks the scrub status. If the file system hasn’t been scrubbed in the past 30 days it asks the user to start the scrubbing via a GUI dialog.
2. If the user wants to run it the scrubbing progress is visualized in a window. This way people also know why their system is slowing down.
3. But the user can also postpone scrubbing to a later point (e.g. tomorrow).
4. System suspend automatically pauses the scrubbing.
5. If a paused scrub is detected the user is asked if they want to resume it.

I’m thinking about implementing this as a script that would be executed on gnome startup and when a btrfs fs/device is connected. But I don’t want to reinvent the wheel. I’m aware there is btrfsmaintenance but it doesn’t seem cover any of the points I’ve listed. Any feedback on this or solutions like this that already exist?

Many thanks,
Markus

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-06-13 19:03 UTC | newest]