* File cloning across subvolumes with BTRFS_IOC_CLONE ioctl
@ 2010-07-20  5:39 redneb
From: redneb @ 2010-07-20  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

It seems that the BTRFS_IOC_CLONE ioctl fails when trying to do a
cross-subvolume clone of a file. Chris Mason suggested in the past ([1])
that this should be possible. Am I missing something?

[1] http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-btrfs/2010/6/10/6884911

* Re: File cloning across subvolumes with BTRFS_IOC_CLONE ioctl
@ 2010-07-21 15:11 ` Jérôme Poulin
From: Jérôme Poulin @ 2010-07-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: redneb; +Cc: linux-btrfs

I've got the same problem, and that post clearly seems to say it is pos=
sible.
cp --reflink=3Dalways source subvolume1/   gives me:
cp: failed to clone `xxxx': Invalid cross-device link

Even on the same subvolume I get 10% of the files telling me the same.

btrfs-bcp copy the files in its integrity.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 1:39 AM,  <redneb@gmx.com> wrote:
> It seems that the BTRFS_IOC_CLONE ioctl fails when trying to do a
> cross-subvolume clone of a file. Chris Mason suggested in the past ([=
1])
> that this should be possible. Am I missing something?
>
> [1] http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-btrfs/2010/6/10/6884911
in

* Re: File cloning across subvolumes with BTRFS_IOC_CLONE ioctl
@ 2010-07-21 15:32   ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2010-07-21 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérôme Poulin; +Cc: redneb, linux-btrfs

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:11:13AM -0400, J=E9r=F4me Poulin wrote:
> I've got the same problem, and that post clearly seems to say it is p=
ossible.
> cp --reflink=3Dalways source subvolume1/   gives me:
> cp: failed to clone `xxxx': Invalid cross-device link
>=20
> Even on the same subvolume I get 10% of the files telling me the same=
=2E
>=20
> btrfs-bcp copy the files in its integrity.

Ok, this is a bug in the ioctl.  I'll fix it up.

-chris
in

* Re: File cloning across subvolumes with BTRFS_IOC_CLONE ioctl
@ 2010-07-26 12:55     ` Jérôme Poulin
From: Jérôme Poulin @ 2010-07-26 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason, Jérôme Poulin, redneb, linux-btrfs

After pulling the new changes, I tried to do the cp --reflink=3Dalways
and still get files with no data in it.
cp --reflink=3Dalways on different subvolume: http://pastebin.com/zutMP=
e1h
ls -lisa on source: http://pastebin.com/8BU2Xyr5
ls -lisa on destination after trying to copy: http://pastebin.com/EPV70=
cD3

However, copying on the same subvolume now works perfectly, so I guess
this is fixed.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com> =
wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:11:13AM -0400, J=E9r=F4me Poulin wrote:
>> I've got the same problem, and that post clearly seems to say it is =
possible.
>> cp --reflink=3Dalways source subvolume1/ =A0 gives me:
>> cp: failed to clone `xxxx': Invalid cross-device link
>>
>> Even on the same subvolume I get 10% of the files telling me the sam=
e.

>> btrfs-bcp copy the files in its integrity.
>
> Ok, this is a bug in the ioctl. =A0I'll fix it up.
>
> -chris

in

* Re: File cloning across subvolumes with BTRFS_IOC_CLONE ioctl
@ 2010-07-26 13:00       ` Jérôme Poulin
From: Jérôme Poulin @ 2010-07-26 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason, Jérôme Poulin, redneb, linux-btrfs

Here is the real destination, I had pasted the same as source:
http://pastebin.com/nyTDeaae

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:55 AM, J=E9r=F4me Poulin <jeromepoulin@gmail.=
com> wrote:
> After pulling the new changes, I tried to do the cp --reflink=3Dalway=
s and still get files with no data in it.
> cp --reflink=3Dalways on different subvolume: http://pastebin.com/zut=
MPe1h
> ls -lisa on source: http://pastebin.com/8BU2Xyr5
> ls -lisa on destination after trying to copy: http://pastebin.com/EPV=
70cD3

> However, copying on the same subvolume now works perfectly, so I gues=
s this is fixed.

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com=
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:11:13AM -0400, J=E9r=F4me Poulin wrote:
>>> I've got the same problem, and that post clearly seems to say it is=
 possible.
>>> cp --reflink=3Dalways source subvolume1/ =A0 gives me:
>>> cp: failed to clone `xxxx': Invalid cross-device link
>>>
>>> Even on the same subvolume I get 10% of the files telling me the sa=
me.

>>> btrfs-bcp copy the files in its integrity.
>>
>> Ok, this is a bug in the ioctl. =A0I'll fix it up.
>>
>> -chris

in