* Hardlinks-per-directory limit?
@ 2010-07-29  4:35 Ken D'Ambrosio
From: Ken D'Ambrosio @ 2010-07-29  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello, all.  I'm thinking of rolling out a BackupPC server, and -- based
on the strength of the recent Phoronix benchmarks
(http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11156&Itemid=23)
-- had been strongly considering btrfs.  But I do seem to recall that
there was some sort of hardlinks-per-directory limitation, and BackupPC
*loves* hardlinks.  Would someone care to either remind me what the issue
was, or reassure me that it's been rectified?

Thanks!

-Ken

believed to be clean.

* Re: Hardlinks-per-directory limit?
@ 2010-07-29 13:50 ` Josef Bacik
From: Josef Bacik @ 2010-07-29 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken D'Ambrosio; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:35:59AM -0400, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hello, all.  I'm thinking of rolling out a BackupPC server, and -- based
> on the strength of the recent Phoronix benchmarks
> (http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11156&Itemid=23)
> -- had been strongly considering btrfs.  But I do seem to recall that
> there was some sort of hardlinks-per-directory limitation, and BackupPC
> *loves* hardlinks.  Would someone care to either remind me what the issue
> was, or reassure me that it's been rectified?

It's because we pack inode ref's into the same item, so once the item fills up
we can't add anymore refs.  It's still a problem, not sure if/when its getting
fixed.  Thanks,

Josef

* Re: Hardlinks-per-directory limit?
@ 2010-08-01 17:43 ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2010-08-01 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken D'Ambrosio; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wednesday 28 July 2010, Ken D'Ambrosio said:

> Hello, all.  I'm thinking of rolling out a BackupPC server, and --
> based on the strength of the recent Phoronix benchmarks
> (http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11156&Itemid=23)
> -- had been strongly considering btrfs.  But I do seem to recall
> that there was some sort of hardlinks-per-directory limitation, and
> BackupPC *loves* hardlinks.  Would someone care to either remind me
> what the issue was, or reassure me that it's been rectified?

btrfs has a limit on the number of hardlinks that can exist in the
same directory.  I don't believe that BackupPC will create any more
hardlinks in a given directory than are already in the filesystem you
are backing up.  It uses hardlinks between directories for files that
haven't changed.

David