* [fnst-kernel 10816] Found several problems while reading btrfs code
@ 2010-10-27  7:40 liubo
From: liubo @ 2010-10-27  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason; +Cc: Linux Btrfs

Hi, Chris,

We've found several tiny problems while reading btrfs code.

These problems are mainly about uncheck return value or BUG_ON check.
They really have an impact on codes' quality, though they will not be
hit in normal cases.

Here comes some examples:

1. memory allocation check
May cause -ENOMEM, btrfs BUG_ON().

static int alloc_reserved_file_extent(struct btrfs_trans_handle *trans,
        path = btrfs_alloc_path();
        BUG_ON(!path);

2. return value's BUG_ON() check

static noinline int update_ref_for_cow(struct btrfs_trans_handle *trans,
        if (btrfs_block_can_be_shared(root, buf)) {
                ret = btrfs_lookup_extent_info(trans, root, buf->start,
                                               buf->len, &refs, &flags);
                BUG_ON(ret);
                BUG_ON(refs == 0);

Is there a plan to improve the above?
We are helpful on this:)

thanks,
liubo

* Re: [fnst-kernel 10816] Found several problems while reading btrfs code
@ 2010-10-28 13:03 ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2010-10-28 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liubo; +Cc: Linux Btrfs

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 03:40:13PM +0800, liubo wrote:
> Hi, Chris,
>
> We've found several tiny problems while reading btrfs code.
>
> These problems are mainly about uncheck return value or BUG_ON check.
> They really have an impact on codes' quality, though they will not be
> hit in normal cases.
>
> Here comes some examples:
>
> 1. memory allocation check
> May cause -ENOMEM, btrfs BUG_ON().
>
> static int alloc_reserved_file_extent(struct btrfs_trans_handle *trans,
>         path = btrfs_alloc_path();
>         BUG_ON(!path);

Yes we should either use GFP_NOFAIL or we should deal with the error
nicely.

> 2. return value's BUG_ON() check
>
> static noinline int update_ref_for_cow(struct btrfs_trans_handle *trans,
>         if (btrfs_block_can_be_shared(root, buf)) {
>                 ret = btrfs_lookup_extent_info(trans, root, buf->start,
>                                                buf->len, &refs, &flags);
>                 BUG_ON(ret);
>                 BUG_ON(refs == 0);
>

> Is there a plan to improve the above?
> We are helpful on this:)

Definitely.  The first step is to find the errors that can just be
dealt with.  After that we need to make a way to force the FS into a
readonly state for the really impossible ones.

Both are very good projects ;)

-chris