* optimising metadata location
@ 2014-05-30 13:27 Russell Coker
From: Russell Coker @ 2014-05-30 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Am I correct in believing that BTRFS has no support for locating metadata near
the data it refers to?  The way it allocates 256M chunks for metadata and 1G
chunks for data seems to work against the possibility of locating metadata
near the data it refers to.

If this is correct then would it be possible to pre-allocate metadata chunks
on the fastest sections of the disk?  On most disks the lower sector numbers
correspond to the outer tracks which have the fastest contiguous IO rates and
also should give shorter seek times (as seeking accross a given amount of data
would involve a shorter head movement).

One example of where this could really help is mail servers.  For email that I
personally receive the average file size of the message files in Maildir
format is 22K for messages I've received in the last year.  For a mail server
that I run for a client the average size of stored mail is about 92K.

When the average size is 22K it seems that with compression most files will
fit in metadata when they are compressed and the filesystem has a 16K leaf
size (note that the average size would be a lot larger than the median size
due to the presence of a small number of very large messages).

Even for the server with an average size of 92K there will still be a good
portion of the stored mail that would fit in a 16K leaf and the metadata
operations for Maildir servers are intensive (lots of file renames).  So
having this on the fastest part of the disk would be a good thing.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-05-30 13:27 UTC | newest]