* Does balancing also defragment data?
@ 2020-06-13  5:20 Robbie Smith
From: Robbie Smith @ 2020-06-13  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

This is something I've been wondering about lately. The defragmenting
tool has known issues that break reflinks when run on files with lots
of snapshots or copies, but balancing does not do this. The manual
states that running a full balance without filters will basically
rewrite the entire filesystem, so does it also defragment as it runs,
or does it preserve the extents?

Robbie

* Re: Does balancing also defragment data?
@ 2020-06-13  5:38 ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2020-06-13  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robbie Smith, linux-btrfs

13.06.2020 08:20, Robbie Smith пишет:
> This is something I've been wondering about lately. The defragmenting
> tool has known issues that break reflinks when run on files with lots
> of snapshots or copies, but balancing does not do this. The manual
> states that running a full balance without filters will basically
> rewrite the entire filesystem, so does it also defragment as it runs,
> or does it preserve the extents?

No, it does not. Balancing moves extents while defragmenting rewrites
extents.

* Re: Does balancing also defragment data?
@ 2020-06-17 19:19 ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2020-06-17 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robbie Smith; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 03:20:25PM +1000, Robbie Smith wrote:
> This is something I've been wondering about lately. The defragmenting
> tool has known issues that break reflinks when run on files with lots
> of snapshots or copies, but balancing does not do this. The manual
> states that running a full balance without filters will basically
> rewrite the entire filesystem, so does it also defragment as it runs,
> or does it preserve the extents?

I've updated the manual page of balance to avoid saying 'rewrite' but
rather 'move to new physical location' and added notes about extent
sharing. Thanks.