* Performance reduces with nodatasum
@ 2014-10-04 10:26 Bob Marley
From: Bob Marley @ 2014-10-04 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello,
apparently I have found an issue with btrfs: performance reduces with
nodatasum and multi-device "raid0" or "single".

I was testing with a series of 8 LIO ramdisks, with btrfs on those in
multi-device single mode, and writing zeroes on the filesystem with 16
dd in parallel.
Performance decreases significantly if the filesystem is mounted with
nodatasum, or with nodatacow which implies nodatasum.
CPU occupation also reduces, together with speed, as seen with htop.

At first I thought it was my problem, but then I saw this web page
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7308/3/
which also reports reduced performance with nodatasum and multi-device
raid0 or single, e.g. see these two lines:

Btrfs
two disks,
single
standard
50.144    50.264    126.984    131.130

Btrfs
two disks,
single
nodatacow,
nodatasum
43.834    47.603    131.612    131.470

similarly with raid0

even more with compression:

Btrfs
two disks,
raid0
-o compress
70.234    69.048    130.852    129928
Btrfs

two disks,
raid0
-o compress
nodatacow,
nodatasum
48.762    48.831    130.812    130.202

If you go higher with the performances, such as with ramdisks, in the
GB/sec range, it reduces more than that. I have noticed upto 50% reduction.

It would be important to fix this problem for high-performance usages of
btrfs.

Best regards
BM

* Re: Performance reduces with nodatasum
@ 2014-10-04 10:36 ` Bob Marley
From: Bob Marley @ 2014-10-04 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On 04/10/2014 12:26, Bob Marley wrote:
> Hello,
> apparently I have found an issue with btrfs

Sorry I forgot to mention the kernel version:  3.14.19
not tested with higher versions

* Re: Performance reduces with nodatasum
@ 2014-10-04 10:52   ` Bob Marley
From: Bob Marley @ 2014-10-04 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On 04/10/2014 12:36, Bob Marley wrote:
> On 04/10/2014 12:26, Bob Marley wrote:
>> Hello,
>> apparently I have found an issue with btrfs
>
> Sorry I forgot to mention the kernel version:  3.14.19
> not tested with higher versions

I just noticed that the page I have linked which also reports the problem
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7308/3/
is dated April 21st, 2009 , with kernel version 2.6.30-rc1
so this problem is not a recent regression but has been there probably
since always.
So it's likely that it's present also in latest 3.17-rc7 even if I can't
check right now.
Best regards
BM