* some issues with lots of snapshots
@ 2010-10-26 10:28 Xavier Nicollet
From: Xavier Nicollet @ 2010-10-26 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I can't reproduce this right know, but it seems that creating lots of
snapshots, one per minute (keeping only a dozens of them) may block the
system. Every btrfs snap processes stay idle and the load skyrockets to 900.

I use an old version: 2.6.34.5 kernel, and the system is still very
responsive (web and mysql server).

I would apreciate if somebody could tell me about the current kernel (I
had stability issues with 2.6.35 series).

# btrfs filesys show
Label: 'btrfs'  uuid: e13357f4-c40c-4940-87bd-4f5142d32c49
        Total devices 2 FS bytes used 8.67GB
        devid    1 size 1.81TB used 12.03GB path /dev/sda2
        devid    2 size 1.81TB used 12.01GB path /dev/sdb2

# btrfs filesys df /var
Data, RAID1: total=11.00GB, used=8.24GB
Metadata, RAID1: total=1.00GB, used=436.21MB
System, RAID1: total=8.00MB, used=4.00KB
Data: total=8.00MB, used=0.00
Metadata: total=8.00MB, used=0.00
System: total=4.00MB, used=0.00

Regards,

PS: extract from dmesg if somebody is interested.
http://pastebin.com/8zE4GKXu

--
Xavier Nicollet

* Re: some issues with lots of snapshots
@ 2010-10-26 19:15 ` Pat Regan
From: Pat Regan @ 2010-10-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:28:53 +0200
Xavier Nicollet <nicollet@jeru.org> wrote:

> I can't reproduce this right know, but it seems that creating lots of
> snapshots, one per minute (keeping only a dozens of them) may block
> the system. Every btrfs snap processes stay idle and the load
> skyrockets to 900.
>
> I use an old version: 2.6.34.5 kernel, and the system is still very
> responsive (web and mysql server).

I had the same thing happen with a 2.6.36-rc6 kernel on my laptop.  My
cron jobs were creating snapshots and 5 minute intervals and keeping 12
of them active.

I turned off the 5-minute snapshots and I'm now just keeping 4 weekly, 7
daily, and 24 hourly snapshots alive.

Pat

* Re: some issues with lots of snapshots
@ 2010-10-27  8:39   ` Xavier Nicollet
From: Xavier Nicollet @ 2010-10-27  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pat Regan; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Le 26 octobre 2010 =E0 15:15, Pat Regan a =E9crit:
> I turned off the 5-minute snapshots and I'm now just keeping 4 weekly=
, 7
> daily, and 24 hourly snapshots alive.

I have just rebooted and I am going with /15 minutes interval.

--=20
Xavier Nicollet
in

* Re: some issues with lots of snapshots
@ 2010-10-28 22:03     ` Pat Regan
From: Pat Regan @ 2010-10-28 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:39:48 +0200
Xavier Nicollet <nicollet@jeru.org> wrote:

> Le 26 octobre 2010 =E0 15:15, Pat Regan a =E9crit:
> > I turned off the 5-minute snapshots and I'm now just keeping 4
> > weekly, 7 daily, and 24 hourly snapshots alive.
>=20
> I have just rebooted and I am going with /15 minutes interval.
>=20

I'm just replying so this is documented somewhere.

After I read your message I decided to turn on snaphots at 15 minute
intervals yesterday.  This morning I had snapshot processing filling up
my process list again.

My laptop is a quad core i7 and the btrfs file system is on an Intel
X25-M 80 gig.  I don't know if a fast drives increases or decreases the
likelihood of having this problem or not.

Pat
in

* Re: some issues with lots of snapshots
@ 2010-10-29  6:31       ` Roman Kapusta
From: Roman Kapusta @ 2010-10-29  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pat Regan; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 00:03, Pat Regan <thehead@patshead.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:39:48 +0200
> Xavier Nicollet <nicollet@jeru.org> wrote:
>
>> Le 26 octobre 2010 =C3=A0 15:15, Pat Regan a =C3=A9crit:
>> > I turned off the 5-minute snapshots and I'm now just keeping 4
>> > weekly, 7 daily, and 24 hourly snapshots alive.
>>
>> I have just rebooted and I am going with /15 minutes interval.
>>

> I'm just replying so this is documented somewhere.
>
> After I read your message I decided to turn on snaphots at 15 minute
> intervals yesterday. =C2=A0This morning I had snapshot processing fil=
ling up
> my process list again.

I think there is no problem with snapshot creation every 5 or 15
minutes, but problem is with deleting old snapshots every 5 or 15
minutes. Can you try to run cleanup of old snapshots only once per day
to check if it will improve?

> My laptop is a quad core i7 and the btrfs file system is on an Intel
> X25-M 80 gig. =C2=A0I don't know if a fast drives increases or decrea=
ses the
> likelihood of having this problem or not.
>
> Pat

in

* Re: some issues with lots of snapshots
@ 2010-10-30 19:12         ` Pat Regan
From: Pat Regan @ 2010-10-30 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Kapusta; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:31:05 +0200
Roman Kapusta <roman.kapusta@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 00:03, Pat Regan <thehead@patshead.com> wrote=
:
> > On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:39:48 +0200
> > Xavier Nicollet <nicollet@jeru.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Le 26 octobre 2010 =E0 15:15, Pat Regan a =E9crit:
> >>
> >> I have just rebooted and I am going with /15 minutes interval.
> >>

> > I'm just replying so this is documented somewhere.
> >
> > After I read your message I decided to turn on snaphots at 15 minut=
> > intervals yesterday. =A0This morning I had snapshot processing
> > filling up my process list again.
>=20
> I think there is no problem with snapshot creation every 5 or 15
> minutes, but problem is with deleting old snapshots every 5 or 15
> minutes. Can you try to run cleanup of old snapshots only once per da=
> to check if it will improve?

Reducing the frequency of snapshot removal sure did work.  I started
with a pretty large amount of time between snapshot removal jobs and I
have been decreasing that number.  I have been running with a 1 hour
delay between snapshot removals for almost 24 hours so far with no
problems.

Pat
in