* performance of cp and mv between subvolumes
       [not found] <AANLkTikwYXktHD7-H7LF+cn7zBpY8ZdDw+z=Zze1-C+w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-10-07  9:57 ` Roman Kapusta
From: Roman Kapusta @ 2010-10-07  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Shouldn't be possible to move or copy (COW) big files between two
subvolumes of one btrfs filesystem instantly - without real data
movement?

cp --reflink between subvolumes is returning error: cp: failed to
clone `...': Invalid cross-device link
mv between subvolumes is really slow - looks like it is moving all data

To circumvent this I can create new snapshot and then remove
everything except files I want to copy/move to this new subvolume and
I gained the same effect quite fast, but indirectly, is there some way
how to do it directly when subvolume already exists?

Roman Kapusta

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-10-07  9:57 UTC | newest]