* btrfs user survey?
@ 2010-09-27 22:31 Francis Galiegue
From: Francis Galiegue @ 2010-09-27 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello list,

At this point in time, btrfs has gained a lot of interest, and not
only a passing one. So, it is, imho, the ideal time to build up a
survey to monitor how btrfs is used today (or _was_ used - I have
knowledge of people that started to use it but dropped for various
reasons).

Of course, I'm only one user among many, but here is a sample of
questions for this survey in case anyone is interested:

* Do you use btrfs currently?
[ ] yes, but not as a root filesystem
[ ] yes, as a root filesystem
[ ] no

* If not, what prevents you from using them?
[ ] lack of a full blown fsck
[ ] horror stories from other users
[ ] lack of support from my favorite distribution
[ ] other

* If yes, how long have you used it?
[ put answers here related to milestones in btrfs design - I don't know=
 them ]

* Do you use the following features of btrfs:
[ ] defragment
[ ] online shrink
[ ] online expand
[ ] snapshots
[ ] RAID
[ ] [others - I only mention the ones I know]

* How many btrfs filesystems do you currently have?
[ ] 1 only
[ ] 2-5
[ ] More than 5

* How many btrfs filesystems have failed upon you?
[ ] None!
[ ] [etc etc]

Well, all in all, you get the idea, and I'm probably not the guy to
craft questions for such a survey. But having input from as large a
panel of users as possible would be a nice thing to have.

Comments?

--=20
=46rancis Galiegue, fgaliegue@gmail.com
"It seems obvious [...] that at least some 'business intelligence'
tools invest so much intelligence on the business side that they have
nothing left for generating SQL queries" (St=C3=A9phane Faroult, in "Th=
Art of SQL", ISBN 0-596-00894-5)
in

* Re: btrfs user survey?
@ 2010-09-27 22:44 ` Chris Ball
From: Chris Ball @ 2010-09-27 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Galiegue; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Hi Francis,

   > Well, all in all, you get the idea, and I'm probably not the guy
   > to craft questions for such a survey. But having input from as
   > large a panel of users as possible would be a nice thing to have.

Your questions are fine -- I might add:

* Rank the following future features in importance, 4 == most important
[ ] working fsck
[ ] GUIs for userspace actions e.g. snapshots
[ ] data deduplication
[ ] hot data relocation

Please use something like Google Spreadsheets (which has a forms
option) if you're going to run such a survey, rather than having
everyone reply on-list -- we shouldn't bother this list with any
results other than the final summary.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb@laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child

* Re: btrfs user survey?
@ 2010-09-27 23:00   ` Freddie Cash
From: Freddie Cash @ 2010-09-27 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Ball; +Cc: Francis Galiegue, linux-btrfs

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Chris Ball <cjb@laptop.org> wrote:
> =C2=A0 > Well, all in all, you get the idea, and I'm probably not the=
 guy
> =C2=A0 > to craft questions for such a survey. But having input from =
as
> =C2=A0 > large a panel of users as possible would be a nice thing to =
have.

> Your questions are fine -- I might add:
>
> * Rank the following future features in importance, 4 =3D=3D most imp=
ortant
> [ ] working fsck
> [ ] GUIs for userspace actions e.g. snapshots
> [ ] data deduplication
> [ ] hot data relocation

You're missing RAID levels above 1, and deduplication.  :)  (And
probably a few others.)

> Please use something like Google Spreadsheets (which has a forms
> option) if you're going to run such a survey, rather than having
> everyone reply on-list -- we shouldn't bother this list with any
> results other than the final summary.

Something like SurveyMonkey (http://www.surveymonkey.com) or
SurveyGizmo (http://www.surveygizmo.com) or similar would be better,
as it does all the reporting for you, builds the nice survey interface
with checkboxes, radio buttons, text fields, etc.  And they're still
free (as in beer).

--=20
=46reddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com
in

* Re: btrfs user survey?
@ 2010-09-28  6:58   ` Mike Hommey
From: Mike Hommey @ 2010-09-28  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Ball; +Cc: Francis Galiegue, linux-btrfs

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 06:44:10PM -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi Francis,
>
>    > Well, all in all, you get the idea, and I'm probably not the guy
>    > to craft questions for such a survey. But having input from as
>    > large a panel of users as possible would be a nice thing to have.
>
> Your questions are fine -- I might add:
>
> * Rank the following future features in importance, 4 == most important
> [ ] working fsck
> [ ] GUIs for userspace actions e.g. snapshots
> [ ] data deduplication
> [ ] hot data relocation
[ ] proper reporting of used and free space

Mike

* Re: btrfs user survey?
@ 2010-09-28  8:07     ` Francis Galiegue
From: Francis Galiegue @ 2010-09-28  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:00, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Something like SurveyMonkey (http://www.surveymonkey.com) or
> SurveyGizmo (http://www.surveygizmo.com) or similar would be better,
> as it does all the reporting for you, builds the nice survey interfac=
> with checkboxes, radio buttons, text fields, etc. =C2=A0And they're s=
till
> free (as in beer).

OK, SurveyGizmo it will be.

I'll cook up a first version and give access to the account to whoever
wants to review it before it is officially on air.

@ 2010-09-28  9:46       ` Martin Walter
From: Martin Walter @ 2010-09-28  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Galiegue; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:07:02AM +0200, Francis Galiegue wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:00, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com> wrote=
:
> [...]
> >
> > Something like SurveyMonkey (http://www.surveymonkey.com) or
> > SurveyGizmo (http://www.surveygizmo.com) or similar would be better=
,
> > as it does all the reporting for you, builds the nice survey interf=
ace
> > with checkboxes, radio buttons, text fields, etc. =C2=A0And they're=
 still
> > free (as in beer).
> >
>=20
> OK, SurveyGizmo it will be.
>=20
> I'll cook up a first version and give access to the account to whoeve=
> wants to review it before it is officially on air.

Hi,

please add:

[ ] user quotas
[ ] subvolume quotas
[ ] delta backup (like zfs send)
[ ] raid5 (raidz1)
[ ] raid6 (raidz2)
[ ] raid7 (raidz3)
[ ] nfs4 acls
[ ] readonly snapshots
[ ] .snapshot gate in every directory to all snapshots (like netapps wa=
fl)

Yes, I would like to substitute some opensolaris servers and netapps wi=
th linux+btrfs :-)

Thanx,
Martin

--
Martin Walter
University of Freiburg i.Br. --- Germany --- Fon/Fax: +49 761 203-4651/=

* Re: btrfs user survey?
@ 2010-09-28 11:24         ` Lubos Kolouch
From: Lubos Kolouch @ 2010-09-28 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Martin Walter, Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:46:05 +0200:

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:07:02AM +0200, Francis Galiegue wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:00, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
>> [...]
>> >
>> > Something like SurveyMonkey (http://www.surveymonkey.com) or
>> > SurveyGizmo (http://www.surveygizmo.com) or similar would be bette=
r,
>> > as it does all the reporting for you, builds the nice survey
>> > interface with checkboxes, radio buttons, text fields, etc. =C2=A0=
And
>> > they're still free (as in beer).
>> >

>> OK, SurveyGizmo it will be.
>>=20
>> I'll cook up a first version and give access to the account to whoev=
er
>> wants to review it before it is officially on air.
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> please add:
>=20
> [ ] user quotas
> [ ] subvolume quotas
> [ ] delta backup (like zfs send)
> [ ] raid5 (raidz1)
> [ ] raid6 (raidz2)
> [ ] raid7 (raidz3)
> [ ] nfs4 acls
> [ ] readonly snapshots
> [ ] .snapshot gate in every directory to all snapshots (like netapps
> wafl)
>=20
> Yes, I would like to substitute some opensolaris servers and netapps
> with linux+btrfs :-)
>=20
> Thanx,
> Martin

I would add as well :

[ ] encryption (LUKS-like)

Lubos

in

* Re: btrfs user survey?
@ 2010-09-28 14:33 ` Francis Galiegue
From: Francis Galiegue @ 2010-09-28 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 00:31, Francis Galiegue <fgaliegue@gmail.com> w=
rote:
> Hello list,
>
> At this point in time, btrfs has gained a lot of interest, and not
> only a passing one. So, it is, imho, the ideal time to build up a
> survey to monitor how btrfs is used today (or _was_ used - I have
> knowledge of people that started to use it but dropped for various
> reasons).
>
> Of course, I'm only one user among many, but here is a sample of
> questions for this survey in case anyone is interested:

[...]

Here is a link to a preview of the survey. It is NOT published yet.

Comments welcome!

@ 2010-09-28 14:35   ` Benjamin Griese
From: Benjamin Griese @ 2010-09-28 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Galiegue; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Hi Francis,

have you posted the URL yet?
I can't see it, does anybody else can see the link? :)

Thanks.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 16:33, Francis Galiegue <fgaliegue@gmail.com> w=
rote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 00:31, Francis Galiegue <fgaliegue@gmail.com>=
 wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> At this point in time, btrfs has gained a lot of interest, and not
>> only a passing one. So, it is, imho, the ideal time to build up a
>> survey to monitor how btrfs is used today (or _was_ used - I have
>> knowledge of people that started to use it but dropped for various
>> reasons).
>>
>> Of course, I'm only one user among many, but here is a sample of
>> questions for this survey in case anyone is interested:
>>
> [...]
>
> Here is a link to a preview of the survey. It is NOT published yet.
>
> Comments welcome!
>

> --
> Francis Galiegue, fgaliegue@gmail.com
> "It seems obvious [...] that at least some 'business intelligence'
> tools invest so much intelligence on the business side that they have
> nothing left for generating SQL queries" (St=E9phane Faroult, in "The
> Art of SQL", ISBN 0-596-00894-5)
" in
> More majordomo info at =A0http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

--=20
To be or not to be -- Shakespeare | To do is to be -- Nietzsche | To
be is to do -- Sartre | Do be do be do -- Sinatra
in

* Re: btrfs user survey?
@ 2010-09-28 14:40     ` Francis Galiegue
From: Francis Galiegue @ 2010-09-28 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Griese; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 16:35, Benjamin Griese <der.darude@gmail.com> w=
rote:
> Hi Francis,
>
> have you posted the URL yet?
> I can't see it, does anybody else can see the link? :)
>
> Thanks.

Gah. User error...

http://appv3.sgizmo.com/testsurvey/survey?id=3D376617&crc=3D98980edfce5=
8a795c966488276754ddb

@ 2010-09-28 15:13     ` K. Richard Pixley
From: K. Richard Pixley @ 2010-09-28 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Hommey; +Cc: Chris Ball, Francis Galiegue, linux-btrfs

  On 9/27/10 23:58 , Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 06:44:10PM -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
>> Hi Francis,
>>
>>     >  Well, all in all, you get the idea, and I'm probably not the guy
>>     >  to craft questions for such a survey. But having input from as
>>     >  large a panel of users as possible would be a nice thing to have.
>>
>> Your questions are fine -- I might add:
>>
>> * Rank the following future features in importance, 4 == most important
>> [ ] working fsck
>> [ ] GUIs for userspace actions e.g. snapshots
>> [ ] data deduplication
>> [ ] hot data relocation
> [ ] proper reporting of used and free space
[  ] a fix to the current limit on the number of links to a file - ie,
the backup breaker

--rich