* please review recent fixes for file write and fiemap
@ 2011-03-08 17:58 Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2011-03-08 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Btrfs

Hi Everyone,

The master branch of the btrfs-unstable tree has three shiny new
commits, which fix some important bugs in file_write and fiemap.

These are not yet pushed to Linus but the plan is to send them out
before the final .38 release.

The commits fix errors in the copy_from_user handling where short
returns or zero returns would make btrfs_file_write do the wrong thing.
This included looping forever, or pretending pages were up to date when
they really were not.

There is also another fiemap fix. Our fiemap was returning overlapping
extents, which made recent versions of cp copy too many bytes into the
destination file.

The top commit is this one (just in case kernel.org hasn't caught up
yet)

commit ea8efc74bd0402b4d5f663d007b4e25fa29ea778
Author: Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>
Date:   Tue Mar 8 11:54:40 2011 -0500

    Btrfs: make sure not to return overlapping extents to fiemap

Please read them, and try to break them ;)

-chris

* Re: please review recent fixes for file write and fiemap
@ 2011-03-09  6:06 ` Mitch Harder
From: Mitch Harder @ 2011-03-09  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason; +Cc: Linux Btrfs

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com> w=
rote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> The master branch of the btrfs-unstable tree has three shiny new
> commits, which fix some important bugs in file_write and fiemap.
>
> These are not yet pushed to Linus but the plan is to send them out
> before the final .38 release.
>
> The commits fix errors in the copy_from_user handling where short
> returns or zero returns would make btrfs_file_write do the wrong thin=
g.
> This included looping forever, or pretending pages were up to date wh=
en
> they really were not.
>
> There is also another fiemap fix. Our fiemap was returning overlappin=
> extents, which made recent versions of cp copy too many bytes into th=
> destination file.
>
> The top commit is this one (just in case kernel.org hasn't caught up
> yet)
>
> commit ea8efc74bd0402b4d5f663d007b4e25fa29ea778
> Author: Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>
> Date: =A0 Tue Mar 8 11:54:40 2011 -0500
>
> =A0 =A0Btrfs: make sure not to return overlapping extents to fiemap
>
> Please read them, and try to break them ;)
>
> -chris

I applied these three patches as commited to btrfs-unstable, and
re-tested the operations that had been giving me problems (Openmotif
and gcc-4.4.5 building).

They are working good for me.
in