* btrfs development - question about crypto api integration
@ 2018-11-29 16:43 Jean Fobe
From: Jean Fobe @ 2018-11-29 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi all,
    I've been studying LZ4 and other compression algorithms on the
kernel, and seen other projects such as zram and ubifs using the
crypto api. Is there a technical reason for not using the crypto api
for compression (and possibly for encryption) in btrfs?
    I did not find any design/technical implementation choices in
btrfs development in the developer's FAQ on the wiki. If I completely
missed it, could someone point me in the right direction?
    Lastly, if there is no technical reason for this, would it be
something interesting to have implemented?

Best regards

* Re: btrfs development - question about crypto api integration
@ 2018-11-29 17:37 ` Nikolay Borisov
From: Nikolay Borisov @ 2018-11-29 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Fobe, linux-btrfs

On 29.11.18 г. 18:43 ч., Jean Fobe wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I've been studying LZ4 and other compression algorithms on the
> kernel, and seen other projects such as zram and ubifs using the
> crypto api. Is there a technical reason for not using the crypto api
> for compression (and possibly for encryption) in btrfs?
>     I did not find any design/technical implementation choices in
> btrfs development in the developer's FAQ on the wiki. If I completely
> missed it, could someone point me in the right direction?
>     Lastly, if there is no technical reason for this, would it be
> something interesting to have implemented?

I personally think it would be better if btrfs' exploited the generic
framework. And in fact when you look at zstd, btrfs does use the
generic, low-level ZSTD routines but not the crypto library wrappers. If
I were I'd try and convert zstd (since it's the most recently added
algorithm) to using the crypto layer to see if there are any lurking
problems.

@ 2018-11-30 15:22   ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2018-11-30 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolay Borisov; +Cc: Jean Fobe, linux-btrfs

On 29 Nov 2018, at 12:37, Nikolay Borisov wrote:

> On 29.11.18 г. 18:43 ч., Jean Fobe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     I've been studying LZ4 and other compression algorithms on the
>> kernel, and seen other projects such as zram and ubifs using the
>> crypto api. Is there a technical reason for not using the crypto api
>> for compression (and possibly for encryption) in btrfs?
>>     I did not find any design/technical implementation choices in
>> btrfs development in the developer's FAQ on the wiki. If I completely
>> missed it, could someone point me in the right direction?
>>     Lastly, if there is no technical reason for this, would it be
>> something interesting to have implemented?
>
> I personally think it would be better if btrfs' exploited the generic
> framework. And in fact when you look at zstd, btrfs does use the
> generic, low-level ZSTD routines but not the crypto library wrappers.
> If
> I were I'd try and convert zstd (since it's the most recently added
> algorithm) to using the crypto layer to see if there are any lurking
> problems.

Back when I first added the zlib support, the zlib API was both easier
to use and a better fit for our async worker threads.  That doesn't mean
we shouldn't switch, it's just how we got to step one ;)

-chris

* Re: btrfs development - question about crypto api integration
@ 2018-11-30 16:27     ` Nikolay Borisov
From: Nikolay Borisov @ 2018-11-30 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason; +Cc: Jean Fobe, linux-btrfs

On 30.11.18 г. 17:22 ч., Chris Mason wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2018, at 12:37, Nikolay Borisov wrote:
>
>> On 29.11.18 г. 18:43 ч., Jean Fobe wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>     I've been studying LZ4 and other compression algorithms on the
>>> kernel, and seen other projects such as zram and ubifs using the
>>> crypto api. Is there a technical reason for not using the crypto api
>>> for compression (and possibly for encryption) in btrfs?
>>>     I did not find any design/technical implementation choices in
>>> btrfs development in the developer's FAQ on the wiki. If I completely
>>> missed it, could someone point me in the right direction?
>>>     Lastly, if there is no technical reason for this, would it be
>>> something interesting to have implemented?
>>
>> I personally think it would be better if btrfs' exploited the generic
>> framework. And in fact when you look at zstd, btrfs does use the
>> generic, low-level ZSTD routines but not the crypto library wrappers.
>> If
>> I were I'd try and convert zstd (since it's the most recently added
>> algorithm) to using the crypto layer to see if there are any lurking
>> problems.
>
> Back when I first added the zlib support, the zlib API was both easier
> to use and a better fit for our async worker threads.  That doesn't mean
> we shouldn't switch, it's just how we got to step one ;)

And what about zstd? WHy is it also using the low level api and not the
crypto wrappers?

@ 2018-12-04 13:29       ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2018-12-04 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolay Borisov; +Cc: Chris Mason, Jean Fobe, linux-btrfs

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 06:27:58PM +0200, Nikolay Borisov wrote:

> On 30.11.18 г. 17:22 ч., Chris Mason wrote:

> >> I personally think it would be better if btrfs' exploited the generic
> >> framework. And in fact when you look at zstd, btrfs does use the
> >> generic, low-level ZSTD routines but not the crypto library wrappers.
> >> If
> >> I were I'd try and convert zstd (since it's the most recently added
> >> algorithm) to using the crypto layer to see if there are any lurking
> >> problems.
> >
> > Back when I first added the zlib support, the zlib API was both easier
> > to use and a better fit for our async worker threads.  That doesn't mean
> > we shouldn't switch, it's just how we got to step one ;)
>
> And what about zstd? WHy is it also using the low level api and not the
> crypto wrappers?

I think beacuse it just copied the way things already were.

Here's fs/ubifs/compress.c as an example use of the API in a filesystem:

ubifs_compress
  crypto_comp_compress
    crypto_comp_crt -- address of, dereference
    ->cot_commpress -- takes another address of something, indirect
		       function call
      with value 'crypto_compress'
	-- this does 2 pointer dereferences and indirect call to
	   coa_compress
	   coa_compress = lzo_compress
	     lzo_compress -- pointer dereferences for crypto context
	       lzo1x_1_compress -- through static __lzo_compress (no overhead)

while in btrfs:

btrfs_compress_pages
  ->compress_pages
    lzo1x_1_compress

The crypto API adds several pointer and function call indirectinos, I'm
not sure I want to get rid of the direct calls just yet.