* NVME experience?
@ 2021-01-16 23:42 Graham Cobb
From: Graham Cobb @ 2021-01-16 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I am about to deploy my first btrfs filesystems on NVME. Does anyone
have any hints or advice? Initially they will be root disks, but I am
thinking about also moving home disks and other frequently used data to
NVME, but probably not backups and other cold data.

I am mostly wondering about non-functionals like typical failure modes,
life and wear, etc. Which might affect decisions like how to split
different filesystems among the drives, whether to mix NVME with other
drives (SSD or HDD), etc.

Are NVME drives just SSDs with a different interface? With similar
lifetimes (by bytes written, or another measure)? And similar typical
failure modes?

Are they better or worse in terms of firmware bugs? Error detection for
corrupted data? SMART or other indicators that they are starting to fail
and should be replaced?

I assume that they do not (in practice) suffer from "faulty cable" problems.

Anyway, I am hoping someone has experiences to share which might be useful.

Graham