* receive failing for incremental streams
@ 2021-12-15 20:27 Eric Levy
From: Eric Levy @ 2021-12-15 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello.

I have been experiencing very confusing problems with incremental
streams.

For a subvolume, I have a simple incremental backup created from two
stages:

btrfs send old/@ > base.btrfs
btrfs send new/@ -p old/@ > update.btrfs

The two source subvolumes are snapshots captured at separate times from
the same actively mounted subvolume.

On the target, I attempt to restore:

btrfs receive ./ < base.btrfs
btrfs receive ./ < update.btfs

The expectation is that the prior command would create a restored
snapshot of the initial backup stage, and that the latter would apply
the updated stage.

The prior command succeeds, but the latter fails:

ERROR: creating snapshot ./@ -> @ failed: File exists

Since it is obvious I cannot usefully apply the second stage to a
target that does not exist, I am puzzled about why the process performs
this check, as well as what is expected to have success applying the
update.

How may I apply the update stage to the target generated from restoring
the initial stage?