linux-can.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Tom Evans <tom_usenet@optusnet.com.au>
To: Oliver Hartkopp <socketcan@hartkopp.net>,
	henrique ricardo figueira <henrislip@gmail.com>,
	linux-can@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Questions about using multiple sockets
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 23:07:00 +1000	[thread overview]

On 7/9/20 10:33 pm, Kurt Van Dijck wrote:

>> The 'problem' seems to be already introduced by that specific ECU ;-)
>
> In my experience, it's hard to use 29bit CAN id's mixed with J1939.
> But the 11bit CAN id range is free to use without any conflict with
> j1939.
> I've seen some uses of this 11bit id's.

Just as long as all other devices on the bus are perfect and fully tested, and don't do what was in
one of the links I sent previously:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/467932/is-it-possible-to-use-j1939-and-canopen-on-the-same-bus

     Certain CAN nodes don't distinguish between 11 or 29 bit
     internally.

There are a lot of CAN devices out there that work well enough in the limited environment they've
been tested in. But add anything else to the bus and change the traffic or addresses in use and you
might find they can't handle that. They might be demonstrably buggy, but it will still be your
fault. Especially if they throw a DTC and don't work until the vehicle gets back to the dealer to
clear it. BeenThereDoneThat.

Tom