linux-can.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Oliver Hartkopp <socketcan@hartkopp.net>
To: Ayoub Kaanich <kayoub5@live.com>,
	Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@pengutronix.de>,
	linux-can <linux-can@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: More flags for logging
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:29:38 +0200	[thread overview]

On 16.05.21 01:46, Ayoub Kaanich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for taking so long to reply, I wanted to check the FDF topic
> thoroughly first.

No problem ;-)

> The documentation of the canfd_frame states that "The use of struct
> canfd_frame implies the Extended Data Length (EDL) bit to be set in the
> CAN frame bitstream on the wire."

Thanks for the hint. This comment in include/uapi/linux/can.h has been
created before the renaming that bit to FDF and needs an update.

> There have been editorial changes when the FD Frame Format was
> introduced into ISO 11898-1,the bit EDL is now named FDF (FD Format).
>
> See
> https://www.can-cia.org/fileadmin/resources/documents/proceedings/2013_hartwich_v2.pdf
>
> I believe that the fact that "EDL" and "FDF" are the same thing should
> be clarified to avoid future confusion.

I was personally involved in CAN FD standardization and suggested the
renaming, as "extended data length" (EDL) did not completely catch the
CAN FD features. This renaming EDL -> FDF is a replacement for
clarification. No confusion here :-)

> According to
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/networking/can.html#raw-socket-option-can-raw-fd-frames
>
> When performing a read operation on a socket that had CAN_RAW_FD_FRAMES
> enabled, both CAN_MTU and CANFD_MTU are allowed.
>
> I originally though that only one of them is allowed at a time, that was
> a mistake from my side.

You might want to take a look into this slide deck (slide 48ff):

https://wiki.automotivelinux.org/_media/agl-distro/agl2017-socketcan-print.pdf

> So using MTU will work for FD, but will definitely be a problem in the
> future with CAN XL due to its large size (more than 2KB)

Yes. But we should then thing about CAN_RAW_XL_FRAMES in the same manner.

> The last question would be, would libpcap keep the extra padding bytes
> in, or remove them.
>
> Since the document in
> https://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes/LINKTYPE_CAN_SOCKETCAN.html is not
> conclusive about the topic (the diagram makes it look like it's truncated)
>
> I will have to check on an actual system during the work days, and push
> a PR to tcpdump if it turns out it's just the diagram that was misleading.

In fact this documentation is outdated as we updated the struct
can_frame for the 'Classical CAN' (not CAN FD) to contain a raw data
length code (DLC) value in the formerly reserved space:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit?id=ea7800565a128c1adafa1791ce80afd6016fe21c

Btw. I would still be interested to get the CANFD_FDF reservation for
user space application programmers into Mainline:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-can/20170411134343.3089-1-socketcan@hartkopp.net/

So let's see whether Marc can be excited on this patch ;-)

Best regards,
Oliver