linux-cifs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* mount error reporting bug with DFS and new mount API
@ 2021-07-10 17:38 Steve French
From: Steve French @ 2021-07-10 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CIFS; +Cc: Paulo Alcantara

Found a problem with how we report errors with the new mount API for DFS.
When you mount to a target where some of the DFS referrals are not in
DNS (in this case I had forgotten to update /etc/hosts with the IP
address for one of the targets) you get the wrong (and very confusing)
error on mount:

     mount error(4): Interrupted system call

dmesg shows:
[351218.107319] CIFS: Attempting to mount \\192.168.1.162\dfs-test
[351218.184027] CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -4

It should be something like "path not found" or "Unable to find
suitable address" etc

Steve

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-07-10 17:39 UTC | newest]