linux-crypto.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Interesting crypto manager behavior
@ 2019-09-10 12:50 Pascal Van Leeuwen
From: Pascal Van Leeuwen @ 2019-09-10 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-crypto; +Cc: Herbert Xu, Eric Biggers

Herbert, Eric,

I noticed some interesting behavior from the crypto manager when
dealing with a fallback cipher situation.

I'm allocating a fallback (AEAD) cipher to handle some corner cases
my HW cannot handle, but I noticed that the fallback itself is being
tested when I allocate it (or so it seems) and if the fallback itself
fails on some testvector, it is not replaced by an alternative while
such an alternative should be available. So I have to fail my entire
init because the fallback could not be allocated.

i.e. while requesting a fallback for rfc7539(chacha20, poly1305), it
attempts rfc7539(safexcel-chacha20,poly1305-simd), which fails, but
it could still fall back to e.g. rfc7539(chacha20-simd, poly1305-simd),
which should work.

Actually, I really do not want the fallback to hit another algorithm
of my own driver. Is there some way to prevent that from happening?
(without actually referencing hard cra_driver_name's ...)

Regards,
Pascal van Leeuwen
Silicon IP Architect, Multi-Protocol Engines @ Verimatrix
www.insidesecure.com