devicetree.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [RFC] dt-bindings: riscv: enum for riscv,isa
@ 2021-04-06 19:05 Heinrich Schuchardt
From: Heinrich Schuchardt @ 2021-04-06 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring, Paul Walmsley, Palmer Dabbelt, Albert Ou
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-riscv, devicetree

In Documentation/devicetree/bindings/riscv/cpus.yaml I find for riscv,isa:

     enum:
       - rv64imac
       - rv64imafdc

This implies that 'rv64imafc' or 'rv64imafdqc' would be illegal values
while these combinations of extensions would be compliant with "The
RISC-V Instruction Set Manual".

To me it does not make much sense to try to enumerate all permissible
permutations of RISC-V extensions.

Shouldn't this enum be removed and replaced by examples?

Best regards

Heinrich

* Re: [RFC] dt-bindings: riscv: enum for riscv,isa
@ 2021-04-23  3:32 ` Palmer Dabbelt
From: Palmer Dabbelt @ 2021-04-23  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xypron.glpk
  Cc: robh+dt, Paul Walmsley, aou, linux-kernel, linux-riscv, devicetree

On Tue, 06 Apr 2021 12:05:34 PDT (-0700), xypron.glpk@gmx.de wrote:
> In Documentation/devicetree/bindings/riscv/cpus.yaml I find for riscv,isa:
>
>      enum:
>        - rv64imac
>        - rv64imafdc
>
> This implies that 'rv64imafc' or 'rv64imafdqc' would be illegal values
> while these combinations of extensions would be compliant with "The
> RISC-V Instruction Set Manual".
>
> To me it does not make much sense to try to enumerate all permissible
> permutations of RISC-V extensions.
>
> Shouldn't this enum be removed and replaced by examples?

I'm generally OK with that, but I'm not sure how to do it: won't we fail
the scheme checks if we don't have something defined for "riscv,isa"?